• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town Vs Exeter City Official Match Day Thread. LD2 Brexit Day

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was at the game. I agree it was handball
Two people at the game say yes
The U Arse of A says no
I know where my money is (y):unsure:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ah yes. The rearranged game. Sh*t. Forgot about that. Crewe are looking superb too at the minute. When is the Crewe game anyway?
But on the other hand Bradford at home is nothing to fear 💪

Pobbop

I know I shouldn't engage, but is the same person that is saying we shouldn't criticise the ref as he's better placed, the same one who said Bowman should definitely be sent off about 50 minutes earlier.

It's weird how that works constantly in every match, get a decision go for us, he says the ref has made a mistake, we get one against us, anyone complaining are just making excuses and practically taking the livelihood off the poor saintly officials.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fans want the players to show heart, yet after a brief dip in what has been a fantastic season, the whiners all come out. Bowman's useless, blah, blah.. Rubbish going forward, blah blah... We're in danger of being caught be teams below us, blah blah. How about you show a bit of heart yourselves, eh? We've had a fantastic season.
Indeed we have but we cannot ignore the hard facts. We are where we are on the back of some exceptional defensive performances. Bowman is not useless but he is not the answer either and I can honestly say I have never seen us with such an ineffective strike force

PeteUSA

I was at the game. I agree it was handball

You generally do agree.

DB9

Out of the top seven in L2, We have a goal difference of +8. The nearest is +14, That at the end of the season could be crucial if this continues

Legohead

Banned
Indeed we have but we cannot ignore the hard facts. We are where we are on the back of some exceptional defensive performances. Bowman is not useless but he is not the answer either and I can honestly say I have never seen us with such an ineffective strike force
This is the achilles heel. Of the top 5 currently we have the worst goals for record. As I said before. Taylor needs to keep Bowman on his toes and if Bowman goes 2 or 3 without scoring then drop him and give someone else a chance. You don't continue to give game time to a main striker who doesn't score for 4 or 5 games in succession. Not if you want to get promoted.

LDNGrecian

Referee had a shocker today. Was surprised when I realised he was the same ref we had against Plymouth when he gave us a very soft pen. Must be a homer!

Also my Swindon Supporting uncle was right behind the handball in the build up to the goal and he said it was a clear handball.

IndoMike

Promotion winning teams:
Banks & Curtis
Beer & Kellow
Rowbotham & Neville
Logan & Stansfield.

It's true that being a lone striker is hard work and when you get the ball with your back to the defender you need to be strong and skilful to shield the ball and lay it off somewhere.
What worries me is that even with a good chance Bowman is quite likely to miss-hit. He definitely needs a lot more shooting practice.
It's also true that he hasn't had any partner up front or at least never a regular partner.
So I think Bowman is not suited to playing as lone striker but would need a lot of time with a regular partner for it to work.
Matt T obviously thinks Bowman is indispensable, always picks him and never substitutes him, so I can't see that changing. So we're gonna need more goals from Law, Martin and Jake, to mention a few..

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
When did you start watching us? November?
No first game 1948 and I stand by my comments. Although perhaps to satisfy you I will amend it to “have rarely seen us have an attack force devoid of any recognised out and out striker”......Ajose may yet turn out to be that missing ingredient.....only time will tell.