• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swansea PSF

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not the player's fault. He signed a contract and plays when called upon. It's up to Matt now to fix the left back problem.
I never said it was.

Langer

Can’t believe so many people are surprised they looked much better than us get a grip many of there players cost millions.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can’t believe so many people are surprised they looked much better than us get a grip many of there players cost millions.
Who was surprised ??

Not sure many were however if some of our players look p1$$ poor there is no point glossing over it.

If some of our players play like they did in the first half against strong league two sides such as Mansfield we are likely to get battered.

The back four looked very suspect, Moxey and Sweeney in particular.

Last edited:

Langer

Who was surprised ??

If some of our players play like they did in the first half against strong league two sides such as Mansfield we are likely to get battered.

The back four looked very suspect.
If you can predict the likely result against a league 2 side from what you’ve seen today you should be helping Gareth Southgate.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you can predict the likely result against a league 2 side from what you’ve seen today you should be helping Gareth Southgate.
The starting back four lacked pace, energy and mobility, you don't need to be a genius to work out the same players will sometimes struggle against very good league sides. It's blinking obvious.

Langer

Because it wasn’t a proper game we don’t know what there instructions were they could of been working on holding shape or soaking up pressure or what ever.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hoping Wilson will sign for us again and play at right back. Get Sparkes in at left back and that will give us some mobility in those areas.

To be honest it sounded like Swansea were slick on the ball and moved it around quickly, which exposed our defence. L2 teams will be a different proposition and we now have the height and physicality to cope with that.

Ultimately, we have enough quality in the attacking areas to make a difference this season.

Also it sounds like Archie Collins has come back looking good this summer. I am hopeful he will be a key player and our next big asset.

Arthur Davey

Based on the 35 minutes he's played today only, I agree
Me too - tho he'd need to avoid a similar rush of blood to the head that saw him unnecessarily bundle the Swansea player into the advertising (don't want to break such high-tech gear for starters). That aside, was pretty impressed with hin.
On the other flank, pleased to see Williams back doing his share, something that folks might not consider to be a natural part of his game.

A Slacker

Don't normally do pre-season friendlies but wanted to go and see Grimes who simply ran the show for Swansea. He looked excellent.

Swansea were a really good, slick footballing side and could have been four up at the break. We struggled to get hold of the ball for the first thirty minutes and when we did have it tended to hit and hope towards Bowman (who didn't win much). Once we realised that this wasn't working and tried to keep possession when we had the ball we looked much better. Second half was a bit disjointed although our B team outplayed their (mostly) A team at times and ball retention improved.

I think it is really harsh to criticise players at this stage of the season. Neither Sweeney or Moxey played badly despite the comments above but Sparkes and Dean were both lively and also did a good job.

Pick of our players for me was Archie Collins. Thought he had an excellent game.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Only a pre season game against what looked a very good Swansea team....first half they must have been touching 90% of the possession...Plus points for me was Sparkes he seems to have taken to the LB position like a duck to water just looks so comfortable on the ball with some real quality delivery going into the box from what I saw today would the first name on the team sheet despite pushing a Swansea player into the advertising board although he seemed to slip before the push from Jack (don’t think MT was very impressed with that) Parkes also looked like he’ll be a good signing and Warren was better than I anticipated he would be...No 26 Randell caught the eye with his running and generally tidy play....I can see what MT means when he said Cundy needs to sharpen up his game he was way too slow and ponderous in possession and don’t think we’ll see too much of him for a while on today’s showing....as for Sweeney play like that against Macclesfield and he’ll be getting changed again before half time...Was quite encouraged from Ajose although looking two or three weeks behind on his fitness their was some definite glimpses of quality there.

UTC!