• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stevenage A.F.C. V's Exeter City A.F.C. Official Match Day Thread. 10/08/2019

ryancooper327

So did we play a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2? I've seen varying comments.

Sounds like...

LW
PS-TP-DM
RW-JT-AC-NL-CW
NA-RB

...from some people.

I had presumed a back 4 of PS-TP-DM-CW

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Sky highlights

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Sky highlights

Just watched that Law Goal

WHAT A STRIKE!!

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pretty even game with City definitely finishing the stronger side...performance wise we were much better than against Macclesfield and played in a similar fashion to how we finished last season....it felt like there was a goal coming with three or four half chances not quite happening for us shortly before Nicky Law’s quality strike with the outside of his left foot....happy to report that Ward and Parkes were particularly strong with Parkes winning just about every header all afternoon along with great physical strength to hold off the Stevenage frontline...credit to to Moxey who looked so much better playing CB again....not a performance to get carried away with but we did look a competitive side with what looked a strong bench too.

gbjpc

The solo singer was Razor who was very annoying. I know he was banned and his songs seemed to imply the ban is over and he's back

Red Devon

The solo singer was Razor who was very annoying. I know he was banned and his songs seemed to imply the ban is over and he's back

He soon went quiet when the big guy he was stood next to finally snapped and told shut up.

Red Devon

Forgot to mention Williams a genuine threat and caused Stevenage problems all match with his strong running and trickery despite having two defenders on him for much of the time.

Saint James

Just back after a 4 hour drive but it's always worth it when you bag the points. Firstly unlike last week when Macc were on top for big parts today's opponents were truly dreadful with just one shot all game dealt with superbly by Lewis Ward who is imposing although does need to improve his kicking. We certainly started as a 4-4-2 and I have to say Moxey was very good throughout at CH - it may be that Aaron Martin was one of the players the Manager said had the sickness bug earlier in the week and who knows may not have trained the full week hence the decision to switch notably with a game on Tue when I fully expect to see Aaron starting perhaps alongside Cundy? Woodman defensively was so much better than Moxey last week at LB but going forward didn't deliver. It's hard to fathom how Sweeney can keep his place when his control and passing again today was woeful. The midfield pairing of Taylor and Collins imo doesn't work as neither has creativity and it was only when Law was also moved into the centre did we start to pass the ball at all. Ajose increased his minutes this week to 72 from the 53 from last week and there was definite improvement and I think the Manager is persevering in order to get him fitter as its unclear if he is match sharp compared to his team mates who started pre season earlier? Bowman although not at the heights of last week is very effective and holds the ball up beautifully. It was like last week with the introduction of Lee Martin that the game changed. He delivered superb crosses from both left and right and was at the heart of everything in the twenty minutes + added time he played. It's a real dilemma for Matty but again you must assume he will start on Tue?

The huge bonus is the start that Randall Williams has had. He was the outlet to everything, his pace and running enabled us to get up the pitch and have real threat. As soon as he scores he will go up another level again I think and it was good to see him chatting to fans at the end. We need Nigel to get fit asap to take some burden off Law and hopefully get a RB on loan sooner rather than not at all

LDNGrecian

So did we play a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2? I've seen varying comments.

Sounds like...

LW
PS-TP-DM
RW-JT-AC-NL-CW
NA-RB

...from some people.

I had presumed a back 4 of PS-TP-DM-CW
Definitely 4-2-3-1.

You’re right on the back 4 and then Taylor and Collins sat in front. Then had Williams and ajose wide with bowman up top. Law had a free role to go and support whichever side we were attacking. Tactic worked relatively well.

Pobbop

We have won two matches, I do personally not like the look of our defence , but WFT do I matter, two clean sheets is showing that it is working. C'mon City.