• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Steve Stacey

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some will remember full back Steve Stacey, City's first black player, based in Australia but currently visiting hometown Bristol. He's just written a book "The Colour of Football", and due to come down to Exeter at some stage, presumably to promote things. He's fond memories of his 2 years with us, hopefully reflected in the book. Should anyone be interested.....

STURTZ

Loved Steve Stacey, a solid player, doesn't deserve the accolade of scoring the longest own goal in ECFC history (must have been 40 yards!). Anyway always thought, he was a fine full back.

budegrecian

I'd just started secondary school when he signed, so must have been the very early 70's. I can't remember the own goal though.
Very steady, if unspectacular FB, as I recall.

haka

A good write-up from Bristol Live

That's quite a life story.

chunkymorrinmunter

nice article and interview on bbc local news last night.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we had a black player way back in the early days of the club - one of the first black players ever to play in England?

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Iirc he scored for the Grecians on only one occasion in the FAC 1st round defeat at Walton & Hersham in 1972.(not got my Rothmans at hand to confirm)

It was a bit of a surprise when he was released at the end of 72/73.
That was a good campaign initially that just fizzled out by mid March(finished 8th)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Article on Stacey on the Club OS from 2014

andrew p long

Iirc he scored for the Grecians on only one occasion in the FAC 1st round defeat at Walton & Hersham in 1972.(not got my Rothmans at hand to confirm)
Now that was a really rubbish day out....

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Article from the PFA