• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting 11 for 18/19 season

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
A few weeks ago the first team pretty much picked themselves but now there is a decent amount of competition for almost every place and even to be on the bench. I'd guess only Pym, Brown (if fit), Boateng, Taylor and Stockley will be more-or-less inked onto the team sheet, everyone else has to justify selection for the Carlisle game. Later a first choice 11 may emerge, but unless we have a lot of injuries I'd hope competition for places will remain strong.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pym
-----
Sweeney
Brown
Martin
Moxey
-----
Martin
Taylor
Boateng
Holmes
------
Fonte
Stockley

Attack is the best form of defense

ExeterCityLad

Pym
-----
Sweeney
Brown
Martin
Moxey
-----
Martin
Taylor
Boateng
Holmes
------
Fonte
Stockley

Attack is the best form of defense
How can we not put Law in there? Although we have such a strong team I've no idea who I'd replace from yours!

jimmy

Think it’ll be 4-2-3-1.

————————-Pym———————
Sweeny——Brown—Martin—-Moxey
———-Boateng——-Law—————
Martin————Taylor——-——Holmes
——————-Stockley—————-
This is spot on and is clearly King T's strongest side.

Things will obviously change and, striker-wise,Fonte, Abrahams and Jay will get game time off the bench or in a 442.

Like for all clubs, injuries to key and in-form players will be crucial.

So many leaders in that side (as mentioned on another thread). I can't wait for the season to get going, if that side gels it should be a very difficult side to beat. COYR...

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
How can we not put Law in there?
Surely it's against the law?

Joking aside, Holmes presumably the one to lose out?

This has to be the first time in years that I look at our 1st team whatever players you pick without there being at the very least one player who looks like a weak link. Certainly the midfield especially looks as strong as I can remember it for a long, long time with a lot of depth to it as well. Personally I think we will see a team where the 4 defenders are told to be solid and hold their positions whilst letting the front 6 attack the game to get us on the front foot safe in the knowledge that they don't have to worry about defensive responsibilities as much as previously although they will still be expected to press the ball when out of possession of course.

I think at this point the back 5 picks itself with decent cover, up front we will play with 2 upfront as MT has said which will be Stockley + another but likely to start with Fonte, but the makeup of the midfield will be interesting as for me Law, Boateng, Martin will start most matches especially to start with meaning that Holmes and Taylor will be fighting it out for the final spot with young Jack Sparkes looking push his way in as well.

The team that I could see starting the first match would be what I have put below but I can see it being quite a flexible formation in that it could easily switch to 4-3-3 or a variation of that during matches with Martin moving forward and Taylor moving in field 10 yards with Fonte starting from the right of the front 3 but playing closer to Stockley than Martin. As a 4-4-2 with Taylor playing more like a wide Inside Forward than a winger it would mean that him and Law in particular could rotate during matches as well as give us the extra man in midfield to control possession when needed. Another benefit is that it would allow Fonte to make his runs in behind as well as to have the space to pull wide on the right hand side hopefully dragging players out of position for our runners from midfield to move into.

GK - Pym
-----
RB - Sweeney
CB - Brown
CB - A Martin
LB - Moxey
-----
LW - L Martin
CM - Law
CM - Boateng
RM - Taylor
------
AF - Fonte
TM - Stockley

You would imagine that Stockley is going to get a lot more chances this season with the attacking players we have this year and the perceived change in mentality that MT has brought I think that it would be a shock if he doesn't beat his record last season quite easily. I would still like to see a proper hard core Defensive Midfielder come in who can add some additional steel to see out matches whilst also coming in against the better teams if we are getting overrun but apart from that and an additional 1st team ready Center Back I think we are good to go.

I am calling it early but on paper at least if everybody stayed fit all season and everybody stayed i.e. Stockley doesn't get sold I think we aren't a million miles from a team that can win the League 2 Championship this year....

IndoMike

How can we not put Law in there? Although we have such a strong team I've no idea who I'd replace from yours!
For me it's Jake or Law. i go for Jake. In my line-up everyone is in their correct position- don't want Jake on the wing, for example. I'd play Jake first then switch to Law if Jake is having a bad time. i really like the idea of two wingers- let Sweeney and Moxey defend while the wingers do the biz upfront. This is my team for Carlisle, and I wouldn't change it if it is a winning team unless forced to.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
How come a number of exewebers are referring to Jonathan Forte as Fonte or is this another player we have signed

Last edited:

Grecian2K

How come a number of exewebers are referring to Jonathan Forte as Fonte or is this another player we have signed
Quite right. Let's hope it's (like they sometimes say at Wimbledon for a couple of weeks each year) here on EW for the next 3/4 of a year.....LOVE FORTE!!!

jimbo-gould

if we are going to be a running team, as Taylor has said, isn’t that more likely that Tillson will be in the team?

Last edited: