• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fort William have been draw away to Albion Rovers on 19th Oct in the Scottish Cup 2nd rd.
A shame it’s in Coatbridge because it would have been a good excuse to go to FW if the draw had been other way round.
Having already been to Coatbridge to watch Albion Rovers a decade ago,it is not the most appealing town to visit to put it mildly.
1-1 Excellent result for Fort William.

Replay at Claggan Park on 26th October.A pity we are playing Argyle that day.Would have been a good excuse for me to visit to the West Highlands.

Mon the Fort..

Oldsmobile-88

Fort Williams Scottish Cup adventure is over.
Albion Rovers won 5-0 at Claggan Park yesterday,still been a good bit of publicity for the UKs worst senior team in the last few years,looks like a corner has been turned with all of the interest.Twitter followers have gone from 6k to 19k in a few weeks.

Nice video of Claggan Park with Ben Nevis in the background.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Interesting development for Partick Thistle, wonder if it'll work out

Oldsmobile-88

Great result for Highland League Brora Rangers in Greenock.

A 1-1 draw in the Scottish Cup 3rd against Morton.

A nice long midweek trip up the A9 coming up for Morton.
Nice drive from Inverness in the daylight.Not so good in the winter at night.

Oldsmobile-88

A Morton supporter drove the 250 miles to Brora.Arrived at 6pm & found out that the replay is NEXT Tuesday!!!

Legohead

Banned

I've been to Brora and nearby Golspie. Also visited Dunrobin Castle when staying at a caravan park near Dornoch. Beautiful up there. Also Lairg and the Falls of Shin. Spectacular. I remember stopping off at a chippy in Golspie and seeing deep fried mars bars on the menu board and realizing that it wasn't just an old wives tale after all!

This is the furthest north I've been in Scotland but I am hoping to make the trek to Orkney one year soon as it's somewhere that does fascinate me and there are historical sites there that I need to see.

Oldsmobile-88

I've been to Brora and nearby Golspie. Also visited Dunrobin Castle when staying at a caravan park near Dornoch. Beautiful up there. Also Lairg and the Falls of Shin. Spectacular. I remember stopping off at a chippy in Golspie and seeing deep fried mars bars on the menu board and realizing that it wasn't just an old wives tale after all!

This is the furthest north I've been in Scotland but I am hoping to make the trek to Orkney one year soon as it's somewhere that does fascinate me and there are historical sites there that I need to see.
I love it in the Highlands & go there twice a year.
I usually stay in the West Highlands at Fort William,on my last visit I also stayed in Golspie.I have visited the chippy you mentioned.
The A9 Trunk road from Inverness to Thurso is one of the most scenic in the UK.
I aim to visit a few Highland League grounds next season.
A few of the London Exiles visited 3 Highland League grounds recently in the space of a week Forres,Clachnicudden & Brora.
Sounded great fun when I caught up with one of them at SJP recently.

Legohead

Banned
I've only visited Ross County and driven past the ICT ground. The A9 from Inverness to Thurso Olds, is it remote? Are there any services or anything as I think it would probably take about 2 hours or so even from Inverness. The ferry port to Orkney is at Scrabster but it all looks desolate and up there on the map and places like Thurso run down. Other half wants to go and visit the Castle of Mey which is where the Queen Mother grew up apparently and it's near Thurso. I abhor the Royals but hey ho it's somewhere new to visit. :p

Oldsmobile-88

No services but plenty of small towns on the route.
Inverness to Thurso is about a 3 hour drive.
Castle of Mey is worth a visit & was gifted to the National Trust.
I also went to Victoria Park to see Ross County a few years back.It was before their promotion to the SPL
Amazing that such a small town hosts top flight football in Scotland.

Colesman Ballz

I've only visited Ross County and driven past the ICT ground. The A9 from Inverness to Thurso Olds, is it remote? Are there any services or anything as I think it would probably take about 2 hours or so even from Inverness. The ferry port to Orkney is at Scrabster but it all looks desolate and up there on the map and places like Thurso run down. Other half wants to go and visit the Castle of Mey which is where the Queen Mother grew up apparently and it's near Thurso. I abhor the Royals but hey ho it's somewhere new to visit. :p
I agree with Olds regarding allowing more time. Many years ago I travelled from Inverness to Wick for the day by train. Iirc it took over four hours each way, and due to a shortage of staff the buffet car was shut. As the return journey used the same stock, it was closed on the return trip too ! Try to avoid visiting Caithness during the "midge" season as well ! Should you be intending to camp, a tip is too take "Jay Cloths" with you, and cover any gauze air vents with them, otherwise during the course of the night literally thousands of the little beggars will crawl through and start feasting on you, not a very pleasant experience, which unfortunately I can vouch for through personal experience !