• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Salford City

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not only have they been spending £2k, £3k, even £4k a week on players in the National League, today they have announced that David Beckham will be taking on a 10% stake in the club, alongside other Class of 92 members, Gary & Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Part of me thinks this is absolutely ludicrous considering the 'size' of Salford City, but on the other hand, giving something back to the club they all grew up near in terms of geography is something to applaud.

Only a matter of time before we see them in the Football League and potentially even higher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46972871

Last edited:

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hope they don't go up. Wouldn't mind them but the money they're paying - in a division where some teams are semi-pro and/or fan owned - leaves a sour taste.

If they do go up, I suspect it won't be quite so straightforward. They'll struggle to meet EFL FFP requirements with such a ridiculous wage budget on average crowds of under 2,500.

Terryhall

No different to Bournemouth when they bought their way out of League Two and beyond. I still remember going back to the UK and choosing to time it for the Bournemouth home game so I could bring some mates along and finally show them a home win at SJP. Then the Russian billionaire steps in and the rest is history (2-0 defeat for the record).

(As an aside, my mates had to wait til a Tommy Nichols masterclass against Shrewsbury to finally see that elusive home win.)

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Salford are reported to have a deficit of £48k a month this season.
If owners want to keep losing money on their venture that’s their buisness.I would imagine all of the joint shareholders have a few quid to spare to lose.

Football since it started has always been littered with owners throwing money at a club..Sunderland were known as the Bank of England club up until the late 1950’s.