• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Run out music

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Sheffield University have put in this request for information as to the music we've run out to in the past. Any one able to help?

We are looking for the music that Exeter City have run out to, for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Exeter City ran out to this.

"Any help you can give us to piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

"If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

"I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can hear a tune in my head from the mid to late 70s but can’t recall it’s name.

lamrobhero

The theme to the film 633 Squadron in the early 70s

Red Devon

The KLF - Last Train To Trancentral in the mid 90s

IBA

Fanfare for the common man ELP late 80s 89/90 was the only way is up by yazz,
Two tribes Frankie Goes to Hollywood / klf last train to trAnscentral was from about 2007

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I seem to remember us running out to Love Spreads by the Stone Roses at some point in the early years of Trust ownership - it may have been something to do with Inglethorpe.
Also I always associate the Championship winning team with Tina Turner's Simply the Best but not sure if that was because it was a recent hit or we actually ran out to it.

Tim Long

I can hear a tune in my head from the mid to late 70s but can’t recall it’s name.
I have a feeling that whilst Argyle ran out to Liberty Bell by John Philip Sousa (aka the theme tune to Monty Python) we came out to Semper Fidelis (civic motto of Exeter) by JP Sousa and then, strangely, Argyle changed to Semper Fidelis. Or did the Falcons use Semper Fidelis ? Unable to confirm as work computer won't allow access to Youtube and my phone isn't sufficiently powerful to play a video.

iscalad

Falcons used the Dambusters march, I think.

Grecian2K

According to the ECFC Bible the original "run out" music was a dirty entitled "There's A Good Time Coming (Be It Ever So Far Away)" - presumably played by the Southern Railway Silver Band?

As far as City are concerned, turned out to be a remarkably prescient choice for much of our history!

Red Devon

^^^^^
G2k When reading the top line there I thought for a second you were going to say the Christina Aguilera song 😮