• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rugby World Cup 2019

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thoughts go out also to those affected by the typhoon and associated flooding over the weekend. Horrible business 😔
Seconded.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Deserved win for Japan v Scotland.
Creativity and devastating speed v brute force. Glad Japan won.
Feeling any guilt about being glad about Scotland's World Cup exit? Having just started the autobiography of Ian Robertson, the former former BBC radio rugby commentator, I can report that on the very 'first' page he relished the 2018 Calcutta Cup win against England. Then on page 2 he talks of an interview with Matt Dawson where he reminded Dawson that he skippered the England team that were beaten 19-13 at Murrayfield in 2000. I don't know about Italy, but the rest of the six nations feel much the same as Andy Murray as far as England is concerned. On the plus side of Scotland's demise is the early return of the Chief's Stuart Hogg.

IndoMike

Feeling any guilt about being glad about Scotland's World Cup exit? Having just started the autobiography of Ian Robertson, the former former BBC radio rugby commentator, I can report that on the very 'first' page he relished the 2018 Calcutta Cup win against England. Then on page 2 he talks of an interview with Matt Dawson where he reminded Dawson that he skippered the England team that were beaten 19-13 at Murrayfield in 2000. I don't know about Italy, but the rest of the six nations feel much the same as Andy Murray as far as England is concerned. On the plus side of Scotland's demise is the early return of the Chief's Stuart Hogg.
Firstly, Stuffy, I'm surprised that you of all people should misrepresent my post.
I never said or even implied that I was glad about Scotland's exit. What I did say was that Japan played really exciting rugby and deserved to win. So my comment was positive about Japan but not negative about Scotland.
Stuffy, since you ARE implying that the home nations don't like us very much I would suggest that comments such as Murray's are just part of the natural banter from the small countries regarding their big neighbour, just like City fans' banter re Argyle.
Politics? I think Scotland has every right to
BREXIT (Britain exit) if the majority of Scots want it. Whether that would be a mistake by the Scots is another question.
I have no problem about the Scots, Welsh Irish, or any other nationality. It's governments that usually start wars and cause all the problems, not their people.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am pleased Scotland went out and if Wales get stuffed against les froggies I'll be happy with that too. No guilt at all. Two wrongs don't make a right but they'll be dancing in the streets when we're knocked out.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firstly, Stuffy, I'm surprised that you of all people should misrepresent my post.
I never said or even implied that I was glad about Scotland's exit. What I did say was that Japan played really exciting rugby and deserved to win. So my comment was positive about Japan but not negative about Scotland.
Stuffy, since you ARE implying that the home nations don't like us very much I would suggest that comments such as Murray's are just part of the natural banter from the small countries regarding their big neighbour, just like City fans' banter re Argyle.
Politics? I think Scotland has every right to
BREXIT (Britain exit) if the majority of Scots want it. Whether that would be a mistake by the Scots is another question.
I have no problem about the Scots, Welsh Irish, or any other nationality. It's governments that usually start wars and cause all the problems, not their people.
I certainly didn't set out to misrepresent you Mike I was merely suggesting that you, as an Englishman, would have no reason to explain your support for Japan to a Scottish rugby fan knowing full well that the one scalp the Scots prize over all others in the 6 Nations is that of England. The same could be said of Wales, Ireland and France. Like Millwall, "No one likes us, we don't care." :) Regarding Andy Murray, that was simply a throwaway remark. Also, isn't his wife English?

From Ian Robertson's book. Gordon Brown's (not that one) dodgy after-dinner joke. "They breed some tough girls in Glasgow. I was sitting in front of one in the cinema the other night and heard her say: "Hey, get your hand out of my knickers. Not you. YOU.''') ;)

Brexit! How did that sneak in?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am pleased Scotland went out and if Wales get stuffed against les froggies I'll be happy with that too. No guilt at all. Two wrongs don't make a right but they'll be dancing in the streets when we're knocked out.
Wales scares me more than France Billy.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
A Scotsman walks into a bar.

There was no Englishman or Irishman (or Welshman) because they're still in Japan.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
A Scotsman walks into a bar.

There was no Englishman or Irishman (or Welshman) because they're still in Japan.
Hahaha. My son just texted me that :ROFLMAO:

Alistair20000

Wales scares me more than France Billy.
Is that because the sheep are less trustworthy ?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Eddie Jones has tinkered with his midfield dropping George Ford for Farrell at No10 and bringing in Henry Slade. Could be he'll reverse that depending on how the game pans out.

I'm glad both our Vunipolas are fit, we're going to need them to have big games.