• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Peter Carter

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
RIP to former company secretary and director Peter Carter.

denzil

RIP to former company secretary and director Peter Carter.
---ditto---

David Treharne

I still treasure the (often hard to read) hand written letters that he sent me on an almost daily basis when the Trust was taking over the Club in the dark days of 2003. They are epics of a stream of consciousness thinking, often not very coherent and seldom less than very rambling. I always suspected that the anger he expressed was less aimed at the Trust than at those who had surrounded him on the Club Board. It would be churlish not to hope that he has found peace in death. I suspect the number of people who can still write in his peculiar looping hand writing style are diminishing by the year.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still treasure the (often hard to read) hand written letters that he sent me on an almost daily basis when the Trust was taking over the Club in the dark days of 2003. They are epics of a stream of consciousness thinking, often not very coherent and seldom less than very rambling. I always suspected that the anger he expressed was less aimed at the Trust than at those who had surrounded him on the Club Board. It would be churlish not to hope that he has found peace in death. I suspect the number of people who can still write in his peculiar looping hand writing style are diminishing by the year.
I think I'm missing your point Dave? "It would be churlish not to hope that he has found peace in death"? I know he was somewhat unpopular with some, but I dont know how many exewebbers relate to those happenings of yesteryear.

RIP incidently.

Exehausted

I knew him from 1968 onwards when we moved to Budleigh, where he ran a very successful family electrical business. I was a year and two years respectively younger than his two sons Harry and Andy. They were all massive City fans long before he joined the board. They went to White Hart Lane for the famous match against Spurs in the League Cup when we lost 6-3.He took the boys out of school at lunch time and although they didn't get back until 3am he made sure both lads were on the school bus at 8.15am . Tragically Andy was knocked down and killed by a drunk driver. As you would expect it affected the whole family very deeply, Peter in particular. Although I was allowed to get the bus into Exmouth and then the train up to St James Park for matches on a Saturday when I was 13 I couldn't go to mid week games, nearly always on Wednesdays back then. Although he didn't know my family that well he let me travel in with them to quite a few mid week games. At least 7 of us crammed into his car, no elfin safety then or each passenger must have a seat belt. David I'm sure that you came across him at time in his life when he felt cheated by people at the club and very bitter towards the hand that was dealt him and his family in life. I'll remember him as a kind and generous man who, like a lot of others at the time, put a lot of money into City that they never saw again. I hope a lot of others remember him as I do, not like David does. RIP Peter.

IndoMike

What an arrogant, petty, disrespectful and churlish post. Couldn't you have been kinder than that, or at least kept your mouth shut ?
RIP Peter Carter and condolences to his family.

PeteUSA

What an arrogant, petty, disrespectful and churlish post. Couldn't you have been kinder than that, or at least kept your mouth shut ? RIP Peter Carter and condolences to his family.
I agree Mike. What if his family should read that? DT I think you're in the minority with your uncharacteristic comments.

IndoMike

I agree Mike. What if his family should read that? DT I think you're in the minority with your uncharacteristic comments.
That's what i thought. Totally inappropriate.

Dannyred

Very sad news,

Mr Carter put so much of his money into the club.

DT you’re post was disrespectful and you failed to elaborate about his reasons for anger towards some of those on the club board because what I heard he had every right to be angry with a certain person/s.

My thoughts are with his lovely family

RIP Mr Carter

Antony Moxey

Don’t see anything wrong in Dr Dave’s post, it read to me as the mere first hand observations of one former leading light of theclub towards another.