• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Right Of Light

ECFCNo1

Are there any lawyer types out there that could possibly help me with this seemingly rather complicated law?

The background is that my wife and I are planning a two story extension on the back of our house. As far as I understand right of light is a civil law and not a planning law meaning planning permission could be granted but I could still end up on the wrong end of a law suit from an angry neighbour. Is there any way I could get this looked at before the development starts?

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster

ECFCNo1

Thanks ecfc girl. I did come across that site but it just confused me even more. Was hoping for a bit of free advice before I decided whether or not to call in the professionals.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks ecfc girl. I did come across that site but it just confused me even more. Was hoping for a bit of free advice before I decided whether or not to call in the professionals.
Well they're getting on a bit now (and, as far as I know, have limited litigational expertise)

But its a long time since thay been gainfully employed, so I guess they'll probably will be glad to help if asked

ECFCNo1

Well they're getting on a bit now (and, as far as I know, have limited litigational expertise)

But its a long time since thay been gainfully employed, so I guess they'll probably will be glad to help if asked
Ha ha!!! Although the probably know more about this stuff than me.

Red the Paper

Banned
You obviously think you are going to **** your neighbour off so why are you considering it in the first place. Would you be ****** off if you were in his position?

ECFCNo1

Not really. The window in question is obscured by trees at the moment. Just don't want to start building before checking it out.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I would have thought that as any planning application would be open to consultation with local residents, they could voice their objections (if any) before the work took place. As a good neighbour, you could wish to push this along by consulting with them personally or at least dropping copies of any plans through their doors to gauge views.

As you say, you don't want to get planning permission and build the thing, only for them to then raise objections - better to know where you stand beforehand.

I remember the palaver my parents went through. Next to our house was a plot of land that we wished to purchase (the place is an end-terrace). The owner of the end house on the next terrace at right angles to us, though, was a strange sort who, despite this purchase actually being to his benefit as it would ensure more privacy and less noise (no kids playing on it - instead we'd use the far better plot "round the back" to play Football etc.), objected to us purchasing the land. We had to wait until he moved out to go through with it. He was the sort who was only happy if he made everyone else miserable...

zider

go next door and speak to them thay may be ok will it .

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could have implications for our away end when/if it gets redevoloped