• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained list / squad for 2017/2018

chunkymorrinmunter

No real surprises there,except perhaps mcalinden!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Biggest disappointment there is that Lloyd James is still contracted

Shame about Alex Byrne, looking at the departures seven contracted and four loans how much would that free up for some wheeling and dealing

Red Monster

I Bet MT would have released another 3 if he could have !

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
No complaints about any of them. Mcalinden probably the most frustrating. Glad he's got rid of the one legged players.

Shame James is under contract. Maybe someone will make us an offer.

Terryhall

Shame to see Liam McAlinden leave, I feel like he was never really given a fair go and could have been a good player for us.

Also interesting to see Paul Jones "returning to his parent club", I had thought he had signed for us on a permanent deal but I guess I'd misread or misheard something somewhere on that one.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great we've got the spine of the team signed up (Pym, JMT, Boateng, Stockley). Something to build around.

Not a massive amount of flexibility to work with though... unless there are some departures of contracted players.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose none of those really unexpected. Shame about Liam McAlinden who I felt offered something, but the fact he was fit and yet unable to even make the bench in the last few months suggested he'd blown himself out.

With three strikers amongst the departures it lends weight to Taylor's comments around boosting our attacking options.

ECFC89

Not a lot of room to work with, considering only seven players have left. We had quite a large squad anyway, albeit made up of a lot of home grown players who haven't had much game time. It is good to see so many players contracted, but it always makes you worry that next year there would be a MASSIVE overhual as everyone's contracts begin to run out at the same time.

McAlinden probably didn't show much in training as well as on the pitch. I thought he was one of the players, now Tis has gone, that might of been in Taylor's plans and kicked on, but Taylor had him for the majority of Under 23 games, saw him everyday in training and in reality probably just wasn't good enough.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feel slightly for TAH as he's done well staying fit this season and hasn't let anyone down when called upon. That said, I'm sure Taylor is hopeful about finding someone who is able to play twice a week so no real complaints.

Would have liked to see Woodman and James go as well.

Last edited:

Exe on Valdez

Sorry to see Liam McAlinden released. I was hoping that a change of manager could help him reach his potential. Still, it leaves space in the squad for another striker. With Homer off as well, its a bit of a clear out at that end of the pitch.

Ryan Brunt“s wages wasn“t money well spent, but that“s the way it goes.

I wish all of them well.