• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Railway Repairs Redux

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
They can paint the wall : a seascape, with gulls fluttering around nicking chips......

Grecian68

BUILD THE WALL!

Who's gonna pay for it?

WESTWARD HO!
I'd make Plymouth pay for the wall, no railway through Dawlish, Plymouth is cut off train wise! :D

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firstly, he shouldn't bs about fixing the problem "soon" and then 5 years later still not have produced any solution except future plans again and more committee meetings. I so effing hate bureaucrats!!
While I agree that the bureaucrats have been remarkably indolent in tackling the problem Mike I was, in the main, asking for ideas as to how bureaucrats/engineers/ inventive Exewebbers could remedy the situation. I made the point that they/we the people would loathe the loss of the coastal stretch of the line plus the unsuitability of the Okehampton route what with supposed problems with viaducts?

For my part, I humbly suggest duplicating the huge blocks of granite as seen between the Dawlish Warren beach and Langstone cliff. Of course the granite ridge would be less in width and cover only the most vulnerable sections of the seawall as not to spoil beach use during the summer.

Doubtlessly Teignbridge Council would be dead against this while favouring alterations to the wall.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
While I agree that the bureaucrats have been remarkably indolent in tackling the problem Mike I was, in the main, asking for ideas as to how bureaucrats/engineers/ inventive Exewebbers could remedy the situation. I made the point that they/we the people would loathe the loss of the coastal stretch of the line plus the unsuitability of the Okehampton route what with supposed problems with viaducts?

For my part, I humbly suggest duplicating the huge blocks of granite as seen between the Dawlish Warren beach and Langstone cliff. Of course the granite ridge would be less in width and cover only the most vulnerable sections of the seawall as not to spoil beach use during the summer.

Doubtlessly Teignbridge Council would be dead against this while favouring alterations to the wall.
I'm definitely not an expert on this topic, Stuffy. I just know that when the tide comes in strong and the sea is rough then it's an awful lot of water to hold back. I agree entirely that the stretch of line that follows the coastline through Dawlish is well worth keeping, but I'm not sure how to do it. What annoys me is that the Govt. pays all kinds of think tanks, engineering companies etc with absolutely no end product.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Westward bound train services stopping at Taunton next Monday, with disruption continuing for three weeks.

dontpassback

As long as brenty boy isn’t involved with the building or planning ,then the wall might be finished well before Argyle’s top notch refurbished mankover (rofl)