• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Railway Repairs Redux

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was five years ago today that the seawall at Dawlish was swished away.

Wonderful to see (after all of the promises made at the time) all of the work now going on apace to ensure that there can be no repetition and the SW peninsular will never be so isolated again.....or have I missed something there. :(

Oldsmobile-88

I doubt if anyone really cares in London G2K...Cornwall,Plymouth & South Devon being isolated from the railway network would not rock too many boats(no pun intended) in the corridors of power..Now if it had happened in the South East it may be a bit different.

IndoMike

Worst Minister of Transport EVER.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt if anyone really cares in London G2K...Cornwall,Plymouth & South Devon being isolated from the railway network would not rock too many boats(no pun intended) in the corridors of power..Now if it had happened in the South East it may be a bit different.
Well, If an Exewebber volunteered or was handed the task of sorting out our regions network how would he go about? Baring in mind the huge outcry should the current and very scenic coastal line be closed and the possible unsuitability and ginormous cost of developing the old line through Okehampton I left wondering exactly what the best options might be.

Antony Moxey

I doubt if anyone really cares in London.
TBH Olds, I doubt many are that fussed east of Exeter.

IndoMike

Well, If an Exewebber volunteered or was handed the task of sorting out our regions network how would he go about? Baring in mind the huge outcry should the current and very scenic coastal line be closed and the possible unsuitability and ginormous cost of developing the old line through Okehampton I left wondering exactly what the best options might be.
Firstly, he shouldn't bs about fixing the problem "soon" and then 5 years later still not have produced any solution except future plans again and more committee meetings. I so effing hate bureaucrats!!

Oldsmobile-88

TBH Olds, I doubt many are that fussed east of Exeter.
:D :D...Not wrong there..

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Item on Spotlight this week................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47121121

Colesman Ballz

Item on Spotlight this week................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47121121
So basically after five years all that they are now proposing is the cheapest fix option, and will leave the residents and tourists to Dawlish staring at a solid wall. Even Trump's latest plans allow for a view ! Plans for an alternative route ditched, plans to build the line further out to sea ditched, and totally ignoring the unstable cliffs which also continue to block the line on occasion !

While Crossrail has gone billions over budget, still requires extra billions to complete and there is still no opening date in site. Of course HS2 has started, we already hear that the forecast budget is now projected to be woefully short of the actual build cost. A vanity project to cut ten minutes off a journey between London and Birmingham, whilst Devon, Cornwall, and other far flung areas are virtually ignored !

Spoonz Red E

BUILD THE WALL!

Who's gonna pay for it?

WESTWARD HO!