• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Racism in football

Ian Russon

Anyone know if we have a club rep at the racism meeting in London today at Millwall FC?
I don't think we need to attend, we have never ever had a record of racism, we have our own family stand for enjoyment for all. Even when we welcomed Plymouth they got out the ground unscathed after the game. Exeter City is a family club and we do not need to either help nor get involved in this, even for the good.

Legohead

Banned
I don't think we need to attend, we have never ever had a record of racism, we have our own family stand for enjoyment for all. Even when we welcomed Plymouth they got out the ground unscathed after the game. Exeter City is a family club and we do not need to either help nor get involved in this, even for the good.
It's an event to gauge views regarding the best way forward for clubs in terms of increasing racist behaviour and that needs the input and agreement of every club in the EFL. I'd be 100% certain just by the law of averages that amongst our fanbase we have people with racist views even if they don't share them at football matches.

To dismiss the event and any future racism initiative based on the assumption that we as a football club don't have a problem with racism and therefore we shouldn't get involved is both naïve and arrogant IMO and i'm sure (and thankful) the people who run ECFC don't hold that view that you do.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're not perfect. Remember the bloke thrown out from the BB with his daft " You're just a ..........Ian Wright" not so long ago? Of course we should attend.

Legohead

Banned
We're not perfect. Remember the bloke thrown out from the BB with his daft " You're just a ..........Ian Wright" not so long ago? Of course we should attend.
Is this racist?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this racist?
Got him chucked out, couldn't say if he got a ban, fine or whatever. Someone will know.

Legohead

Banned
Got him chucked out, couldn't say if he got a ban, fine or whatever. Someone will know.
Is that considered racist though? Shouting at a player (who presumably was black otherwise the comment wouldn't have made sense) that he is just a sh*t Ian Wright? I don't see any racism in that. It's just comparing one player to another.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nor me. There were some on here who did though.

Legohead

Banned
Nor me. There were some on here who did though.

I'd like to hear their reasons why because it doesn't make sense to me.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Report of a racist incident this morning on one of our supporter's coaches. I don't have any details but the club are aware.

Legohead

Banned
Report of a racist incident this morning on one of our supporter's coaches. I don't have any details but the club are aware.
Hopefully this won't come to anything and it's a misunderstanding.