• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Racism in football

Legohead

Banned
Not sure if there is a thread on this somewhere but just heard the most unbelievable story on Talksh*te radio regarding the upcoming match in Italy between Roma and Inter Milan.

On the front page of an Italian Newspaper Corriere dello Sport there is a photo of Chris Smalling alongside Romelu Lukaku with the headline 'BLACK FRIDAY'.

Absolutely beggars belief. Should be banned from selling newspapers for a while until they can get employees who aren't RACIST SCUM!!

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure if there is a thread on this somewhere but just heard the most unbelievable story on Talksh*te radio regarding the upcoming match in Italy between Roma and Inter Milan.

On the front page of an Italian Newspaper Corriere dello Sport there is a photo of Chris Smalling alongside Romelu Lukaku with the headline 'BLACK FRIDAY'.

Absolutely beggars belief. Should be banned from selling newspapers for a while until they can get employees who aren't RACIST SCUM!!
I'd imagine it went for approval higher up the food chain to let it be published and the owner would of given it a once over before going to print. Italy has never been the most tolerant of societies, Just look back at their recent history

Legohead

Banned
Well I had fancied visiting Italy one day soon as I've never been but I won't do now. I don't want to visit an institutionally racist country and therefore backwards country.

Legohead

Banned
Also I keep reading people mentioning the phrase 'people of colour' when referring to black and ethnic minorities and this is published in the media and is accepted yet a few years ago Ron Atkinson and I believe Alan Hansen were ripped to pieces for saying 'coloured' when referring to black players. I don't understand how one is deemed acceptable and one isn't.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well I had fancied visiting Italy one day soon as I've never been but I won't do now. I don't want to visit an institutionally racist country and therefore backwards country.
I wouldn't let that put you off, Not the whole Italian population is racist, It just seems to me what they say sometimes is what was said say back in the 70's in the UK and beyond. The country is certainly not backwards

Legohead

Banned
I know that the majority of Italian people aren't racist but if a newspaper is allowed to get away with such a headline as today by the system then Italy ain't worth bothering with.

i8cornwall

What a stupid thing to say!

I've been Italy loads and my inlaws actually live in the country. ive never met anyone or heard anyone be racists while I've been there.

Based on what you have just said people shouldnt come to this country because of what The Sun chooses or dosent choose to print!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a stupid thing to say!

I've been Italy loads and my inlaws actually live in the country. ive never met anyone or heard anyone be racists while I've been there.

Based on what you have just said people shouldnt come to this country because of what The Sun chooses or dosent choose to print!
Strange post. Italian football clubs' ultras are notoriously rascist and always were. Di Canio's nazi salute to Lazio fans ?

Legohead

Banned
See post above, 'I know that the majority of Italian people aren't racist...'

This renders your second sentence irrelevant.

Yes, I can see why you and others would think dismissing visiting a country based on one thing is a stupid thing to say. Maybe those tourists so desperate to visit the beautiful Faroe Islands but won't because of the Grindadrap festival are also people who like to say stupid things? A festival so endearing that it relies on the USP of fisherman going out trying to round up pilot whales so that they become stranded on beaches to be randomly slaughtered with glee by schoolchildren and other locals alike. A lot of Faroese people are against the tradition, just like a lot of Italians aren't racists but people decide not to visit anyway.

If people think certain countries have a significant racism problem then it's also understandable that they may decide to visit elsewhere instead as is their choice.

Just to clarify a point though and one which might have made all the difference is that my decision not to visit Italy isn't based on one newspaper printing something racist but more it was the last straw from a country that has continual issues with racism throughout it's system and society which I deem is far in excess of a lot of other countries.

There are racist countries to visit first that aren't AS racist is what I should have said. All countries have racism. Just some more than others and some that recognise it as an issue and some that don't.

Legohead

Banned
To be fair i8cornwall, I did make a sweeping generalisation of a statement against an entire nation and recognise that having thought about it properly after posting so you are right. I defend my right to have the view of Italy that I do however although I accept that the majority of people in Italy are just like the majority of people in most countries and are not racists and to dismiss visiting a country based on one paper headline is OTT and somewhat irrational.