• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League Cup 2018/19

Exehausted

3 minutes added and we have gone very close a number of times. Sounds like a great effort from a very young City side.

Exehausted

Finishes 3-1 to Forest, but sounds like we played well. It will be interesting to hear FBH's take on things.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just got home and I’m sat here feeling very optimistic about the future of our team, having watched today’s game. I’m certainly more optimistic than I would be if I was a forest fan. Our young lads were on average about 6” shorter than forest I reckon, but we passed the ball really well and showed a fantastic work ethic. Forest out-muscled us, but we played the better football and on another day we could have scored 3 or 4. First half we had several goalmouth scrambles or shots that went over the bar, plus their keeper made an outstanding save when it was 0-0.

Their first half goals came from quick breaks when we lost possession, but overall we were controlling play for large parts of the game. The second half started with some forest pressure but we soon settled and started dominating possession again. Then forest scored their third after another break and the game was always going to be a struggle.

However, we continued to play well, scored a decent goal at the far post, hit the bar twice and their keeper again made a couple of great saves. So, despite playing extremely well, we went down 3-1.

The main problem was that we were so much smaller than forest so, despite getting into some great wide positions, our crosses were easily dealt with by their towering centre halfs or their keeper. If we’d had Jayden playing for us, we’d have won comfortably.

Special mention for Jack sparkes too - he came and clapped us after the game, as did the other players, but jack started it and I will love him forever because of it - good lad, jack. There were 3 of us on the terrace and we got a clap from the team - awesome :)

Also got to meet Grecian Piglet :)

Played very well, the future looks good.
I was stood with FBH and at the end the players came over and clapped us. Attendance was 98 with 8 possibly 10 Grecians.

Exehausted

Played very well, the future looks good.
I was stood with FBH and at the end the players came over and clapped us. Attendance was 98 with 8 possibly 10 Grecians.
Was there anyone who particularly stood out? With Law getting injured yesterday and Hartridge going off injured today, after he has been on the bench recently, a couple of opportunities, particularly on the bench, might appear.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For information the team this afternoon was: James Hamon, Joel Randall, Archie Collins (c), Harry Kite, Josh Key, Jack Sparkes, Alex Hartridge, Ben Syemoure, Jordan Dyer, Ben Seymour and Will Dean. Subs: Cheick Diabate, Joe Belsten, Louis Morison, Felix Norman (GK) and James Dodd.

fred binneys head

Joe belsten, Louis Morison and James Dodd came on.

Stand outs for me were jack sparkes, Archie Collins and josh key, but I was also very impressed with joe belsten at right back when he came on. The only player who seemed to struggle at times was Joel Randall whose decision making could have been better - he has a good first touch but picked the wrong pass too often. Don’t want to be too critical though - I think he can be a player, just didn’t have as much impact today as he could have.

fred binneys head

Our left back played very well in the second half too - not sure who that was as I was up the other end.

andrew p long

A very young side; Josh Key is seventeen as was Will Dean a fortnight ago. The outfield ten are all teenagers in an under 23 game(awaits Iscalad’s razor sharp comment with trepidation...!)

And eligible on age grounds would have been O’Shea, Jay, Ogbene, Abrahams ..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member