• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League Cup 2018/19

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We've entered again. A chance for our under 23s to shine like last season. But first of all we have to overcome Bristol Rovers away on Thursday 30th August (KO 7pm).

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/premier-league-cup-draw/

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Really important fixture. We can’t take victory for granted. We need to win it to get to the group stage.

This time last year we had to come from behind to defeat Dagenham; and that was with Stockley Boateng etc in the U23 line up! But this time we will be playing Fulham two days before, and Mk dons the Saturday before and Lincoln the Saturday after. With 9 first team games in 28 days.

I’d like to think we could play

Hamon
Oates O’Shea Croll Hartridge
Key/Randall Collins Smallcombe Sparkes
Jay Abrahams

which contains only one over age player. But possibly some of those forwards will be needed for first team minutes...

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If we beat Rovers then we have been drawn in a group with Norwich, Forest and Leicester.

budegrecian

Really important fixture. We can’t take victory for granted. We need to win it to get to the group stage.

This time last year we had to come from behind to defeat Dagenham; and that was with Stockley Boateng etc in the U23 line up! But this time we will be playing Fulham two days before, and Mk dons the Saturday before and Lincoln the Saturday after. With 9 first team games in 28 days.

I’d like to think we could play

Hamon
Oates O’Shea Croll Hartridge
Key/Randall Collins Smallcombe Sparkes
Jay Abrahams

which contains only one over age player. But possibly some of those forwards will be needed for first team minutes...
I would guess Ben Seymour may feature up front, possibly in place of Abrahams, who, as you suggest, could be required for first team duty. Harry Kite could also make the side if Sparkes or Collins are in the 1st team reckoning, but ultimately I think you're not far out with your starting 11, which is a side very much within the spirit of the U23 competiotion.

fred binneys head

If we beat Rovers then we have been drawn in a group with Norwich, Forest and Leicester.
Hope we get through then - I’ll go along to the forest and Leicester games.

andrew p long

With the problems re Brown Forte and Moxey, plus three big first team games this week, looks like we ‘re going to have to dig deep into the squad on Thursday

With Croll starting tonight, that means either bringing in Dean- or switching Hartridge to centre back and finding a left back from somewhere ( is it Key and Randall who have been playing at wing back out on loan?).

Up front, as budegrecian pointed out, it was already optimistic to expect Abrahams to start, in view of his extensive first team involvement,though he didn’t play on Saturday. It might be the same with Jay. So yes Seymour instead.

Devon Live is hinting that Collins and Sparkes could play tonight, which might really deplete Thursday’s team.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
With the problems re Brown Forte and Moxey, plus three big first team games this week, looks like we ‘re going to have to dig deep into the squad on Thursday

With Croll starting tonight, that means either bringing in Dean- or switching Hartridge to centre back and finding a left back from somewhere ( is it Key and Randall who have been playing at wing back out on loan?).

Up front, as budegrecian pointed out, it was already optimistic to expect Abrahams to start, in view of his extensive first team involvement,though he didn’t play on Saturday. It might be the same with Jay. So yes Seymour instead.

Devon Live is hinting that Collins and Sparkes could play tonight, which might really deplete Thursday’s team.
We've got the Checkatrade game against Yeovil next week as well. So hopefully injuries and suspensions are at a minimum. I believe we can use the players we've sent out on loan in these Trophy matches

andrew p long

Crikey. Dan Green has a problem now with six of my team suggested above having started last night...

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've got the Checkatrade game against Yeovil next week as well. So hopefully injuries and suspensions are at a minimum. I believe we can use the players we've sent out on loan in these Trophy matches
Yes we can Matty T said as much when talking about Hartridge going back to Truro on saturday to continue his development

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Yes we can Matty T said as much when talking about Hartridge going back to Truro on saturday to continue his development
The flip side may be that O'Shea and Abrahams will return to their clubs for their U23 games.