• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth V's Exeter City EFL Trophy SF Official Match Day Thread

StudentGrecian

Agree with Brian and it does surprise me how many posters seem pretty unconcerned to the point of 'couldn't give a s hit. I'll bet the players do.
They'll be disappointed no doubt, but it'll be less disappointing for those who weren't involved. Which thankfully is the majority of the first team. Taylor's selection on Tuesday tells you that he wasn't going to play the first team at Wembley either. I'd rather be in a packed away end at Cheltenham, than at a Wembley final in a game that would have struggled to sell* more than the capacity of SJP.

*No doubt they'll be giving away loads of freebies, like the egg chasers do up at Sandy Park.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
They'll be disappointed no doubt, but it'll be less disappointing for those who weren't involved. Which thankfully is the majority of the first team. Taylor's selection on Tuesday tells you that he wasn't going to play the first team at Wembley either. I'd rather be in a packed away end at Cheltenham, than at a Wembley final in a game that would have struggled to sell* more than the capacity of SJP.

*No doubt they'll be giving away loads of freebies, like the egg chasers do up at Sandy Park.
I obviously can't speak for the players but can't help thinking playing at Wembley might have been something of an anti-climax after the game at Fratton Park. The crowd for the final would have almost certainly been smaller for a start.

i8cornwall

Agree with Brian and it does surprise me how many posters seem pretty unconcerned to the point of 'couldn't give a s hit. I'll bet the players do.
Do you mean as in couldn’t give a shit we lost or couldn’t give a shit about the competition as a whole?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
So Salford make it and face Pompey in the Leasing.com final, Jeez the people at Sky will be wetting themselves with excitement, All those interviews with the class of '92 lined up, The rags to riches story. Pity they won't be able to magic their " Fan base" when they're at Wembley
Don't rags to riches stories usually have some element of working hard towards the riches bit instead of just another foreign businessman buying a plaything until he gets bored.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't rags to riches stories usually have some element of working hard towards the riches bit instead of just another foreign businessman buying a plaything until he gets bored.
Yep you're right but I imagine Sky will use that angle of the rag to riches thing

grecIAN Harris

Do you mean as in couldn’t give a **** we lost or couldn’t give a **** about the competition as a whole?
Either way, the players gave a $4it. Quote Matt Taylor, "you could tell by the tears in dressing room after the game', or thereabouts anyway.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Either way, the players gave a $4it. Quote Matt Taylor, "you could tell by the tears in dressing room after the game', or thereabouts anyway.
You can really feel for the lads young and old there is still something special for a footballer about playing at Wembley even more so when there is a Trophy to be won.

i8cornwall

I’d be surprised and a bit worried if the players didn’t give a shit to be honest, it’s a match for them at the end of the day. Still doesn’t mean the fans have to give a s**t tho.

denzel

Couldn't have worked out better for Sky.
But the thing is, outside of Portsmouth and Salford no one will give a toss. Like everyone else on here, the only thing I will be watching that weekend is the Cheltenham game

DB9

But the thing is, outside of Portsmouth and Salford no one will give a toss. Like everyone else on here, the only thing I will be watching that weekend is the Cheltenham game
Is the right answer, It's very low down in the priority stakes and no one will be watching it and saying "It could have been us" like say the losers of any of the leagues play off semi finals. It would have been nice to win and play at Wembely and I'm glad the players are peeved off that they didn't win, That shows how proffesional they are but they and we know there are more important games coming up