• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v Exeter City Matchday Thread 29/9/2018

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just watched the equaliser again and it looks to me like a, Stockley headed the ball right out of Pym's catch/punch and b, we had far too many men in the six yard box. They certainly seemed to be impede Pyms ability to get around the box. The last time I saw that many men in the six yard box was when any team were defending a free kick for a back pass.

IndoMike

That away kit is dreadful on the eyes
Not to my eyes. I like it, and certainly makes our players stand out.

IndoMike

Just watched the equaliser again and it looks to me like a, Stockley headed the ball right out of Pym's catch/punch and b, we had far too many men in the six yard box. They certainly seemed to be impede Pyms ability to get around the box. The last time I saw that many men in the six yard box was when any team were defending a free kick for a back pass.
Interesting point.

scottus86

Yeah, looks like Stockley flicks it on to the back post and prevents an easy catch by Pym. Perhaps a louder call on Pym's part could have prevented it.

PeteUSA

Yeah, looks like Stockley flicks it on to the back post and prevents an easy catch by Pym. Perhaps a louder call on Pym's part could have prevented it.
Assuming he didnt, I thought perhaps Pym might have made his presence known vocally, instead of him and a couple other defenders all trying to get to the same ball. I certainly think that if the ball had been left to Pym, he'd have held on to it. There was no PV player between Pym and the ball, until at least two other defenders starting barging each other about!

PeteUSA

I really like that away kit, its the best away one in a long time. Had I been saturdays ref though, I'd have asked Pym to change his top. Far too much of a colour clash for me!

PeteUSA

Given the advantage of freeze-frame, Ian, I totally agree. Pym was beautifully lined up for the original cross into the box, which I suspect he'd have dealt with, since he'd had a great day so far on crosses and corners (except one.) As it was, inexplicably, Stockley blocked off Pym and got some kind of header on it. Pym appeared stranded then, well away from the ball. Given that, I wonder if Pym could have scuttled back to the middle of his goal where he might have had a chance with that soft pathetic header; there appeared to be enough time? Its easy to say though; I still think Pym had his best game of the season.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
With hindsight I think the substitutions weren't right. I'd like to have seen Forte come on (not just because his family were in with us). We needed a second goal, and we were getting loads of space down the right.

Ashford Grecian

eh it's been about for 2 seasons now.......