• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poppies

Leads

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
What are you bleddy on about?
I wasn’t generalising I was referencing a specific ITN newsreader who said she’d rather not wear a poppy on TV because she didn’t want to favour one charity over another. I thought at the time and still do, think that’s a pretty **** poor reason for not recognising the sacrifice of others.
Jon Snow doesn't to wear a poppy while on TV. Perhaps he just forgot - afterall he couldn't remember singing "f*** the Tories at Glastonbury."

IN 1966 I had to organise the parking for the VIP's and the Odds & Sods at that remembrance service at the Kranji War Cemetery in Singapore. Later while walking around the graves it was heartbreaking seeing to see so many eighteen year old boys who never made it home to their parents.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
More leftist angst resulting from ordinary working people merely wanting to respectfully mark the remembrance season at football matches.

tavyred

Jon Snow doesn't to wear a poppy while on TV. Perhaps he just forgot - afterall he couldn't remember singing "f*** the Tories at Glastonbury."
If I remember correctly he chose not to wear a poppy as he felt it proffered an opinion on the actions of the British military and thus wasn't consistent with the politically neutral stance of a newsreader/journalist. Ironic now of course as he has long betrayed his personal political bias.
I could have mis-remembered though.

haka

More leftist angst resulting from ordinary working people merely wanting to respectfully mark the remembrance season at football matches.
Key word: "respectfully".

Wearing a poppy and holding an impeccable silence is respectful. Dressing up in a costume (see Stelios' post above) or mowing a poppy shape into the pitch (Torquay) is just "Look at me, see what I can do". When it becomes "me" not "them", then the point has been lost.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
TBF the poppy man costume was more to do with engaging the kids as young kids would be likely to engage with something like that than an old boy stood on a corner with brass and a poppy box …. Or at least that was the thinking behind it when it was first run out in a newsletter.
Same thinking as the wrap around kids wrist bands, kids think its cool to have it snap round their wrist like magic and maybe for a few days it gets the message across to another generation.

DB9

I see that the usual "Respect" was in evidence on Sunday for the Celtic match!

Oldsmobile-88

I see that the usual "Respect" was in evidence on Sunday for the Celtic match!
Off topic but on the same chapter.There was a excellent story on R4 yesterday at 1105 telling the story of the playing of the last post on the bugle(It will be available on BBC Sounds App)

I did not realise how many nations had adopted the mournful 5 notes.
Republicans play it in Ireland at funerals & it was even played at Bobby Sands funeral in 1981.The bugler was interviewed.
Very ironic that a Iconic British Army tradition(from 1843) was played.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Just finished watching a 2hr documentary using newsreel footage from the time on the 1914-1918 war as told from one soldiers point of view on the French side the euphoria of signing on to good for his country to the sheer bloody mindedness and futility of it all.

A very moving bit of footage not unlike the recent We will remember them but left in the original black and white footage.
Its on the Sony action movie channel if you can access it.

DB9

Just finished watching a 2hr documentary using newsreel footage from the time on the 1914-1918 war as told from one soldiers point of view on the French side the euphoria of signing on to good for his country to the sheer bloody mindedness and futility of it all.

A very moving bit of footage not unlike the recent We will remember them but left in the original black and white footage.
Its on the Sony action movie channel if you can access it.
It unbelievable Ramone at the start those soldiers thought they were going on a "Jolly" to "Bash the Hun" and it would be all over by Christmas but how wrong they were, I can imagine it didn't take them long to realise that this was going to be a long war and a bloody one too, A whole generation were lost on all sides, Generals who thought that throwing men in to die will win it no matter the cost, Look at the Somme 60,000 casulties in one day alone! Just sheer maddness but still those in charge sent more men in to die, When they say "The Glorious Dead" there is nothing glorious in dying, Nothing at all. I respect those that died and every year by buying a poppy or just spending a cold Sunday morning at a memorial in November remembering either a relative that is still alive or passed and thank them for what they did is not a lot to ask is it?

Showing documentaries like the one you saw are a must for us and following generations telling us that war is bloody, Nothing like the movies and they show the sacrifice that they made and don't forget a lot of these lads were called up, The first lot volunteered but as the number of casualties mounted up they drafted people into the forces. Anyone who thinks this is a waste of time and doesn't concern them then they have no heart