• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Afternoon Al,

I hope all is well in TSM.

Yes, the rats would fight in the sack and someone would emerge. But what sort of party would it be, and could it hope to sustain itself in the narrow ground it has pitched its tent on? It has lost its entire liberal wing and turned itself from the broad based Conservative and Unionist Party into the Conservative and Brexit Party, whose core vote, like the Daily Express readership, is a shrinking, rather than expanding, demographic. It can just about get away with this with a showman in charge who has been fortunate enough to escape any serious scrutiny from what has laughingly been referred to as "the opposition", but with the Showman shuffling and the opposition earning its Short money, things look decidedly dodgy for Les Bleus.

Where is Jason when you need him? Does Mrs Jason really not let him near any social media at all?
All O.K. here on the Pathfinder Village side of Tebbern thanks art.

Yep. I am missing our Jase to comment on such as the issue you raise above. The Tory party has a chameleon like capacity to adapt don't ya think ?

He also owes us a Music Quiz Thread question too.

Alistair20000

Yes,take your points about him..Though it was a closer than expected call in Donny.
Down to 2,500 vote majority above the Tory Candidate.The Brexit candidate got 8,500 votes.
I had overlooked how close it was in Doncaster North in 2019. I see he lost 22% of his vote. It could be that the Brexit Party took votes off him that were never going to the Tory.

My biggest question mark over his appointment is that he has never been close to working in, let alone running, a proper business. Would love to see a Labour shadow business secretary who really understands small businesses. I think the Tories are too focused on big business.

IndoMike

Boris Johnson has gone into ICU.
Lets hope he gets through this, but I don't think he'll be in a good condition to function as P.M for quite a while.
Silly bugg** made a point of shaking hands and mixing with others : didn't follow his own rules.

IndoMike

Looks like Jason will get his way and Raab will be acting P.M. for at least a while.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks like Jason will get his way and Raab will be acting P.M. for at least a while.
Not a good thing all way round. Aside from the personal illness for the PM, will be an inevitable power struggle behind the scenes - Sunak, Hancock, Gove, Patel...

Still can't believe the 'we didn't realise how busy Dover was' comment from Raab back when all we were worried about was Brexit..

But I wish him well, lives and futures depend on it.

IndoMike

Not a good thing all way round. Aside from the personal illness for the PM, will be an inevitable power struggle behind the scenes - Sunak, Hancock, Gove, Patel...

Still can't believe the 'we didn't realise how busy Dover was' comment from Raab back when all we were worried about was Brexit..

But I wish him well, lives and futures depend on it.
As I said three days ago, Raab is like a frighten rabbit when he sees the car lights coming. I doubt if he even wants the job. Sunak is getting some glory for the financial aid but is too young. Hancock is thick as two planks but has squirmed his way up very successfully. He might want it to escape the disaster of the Govt's handling of Corona
But it will be Gove : ambitious, ace manipulator, manipulator, Machievellian,. He'll work it out
Regarding , Johnson. I'm not gonna change my mind because he is ill. He voted against a 1% pay rise for nurses not so long ago and in his heart he is a private health merchant. So very ironic his life depends on the NhS.
But, I can imagine he is suffering and I get no pleasure in that and hope he fully recovers, especially cos he has a bairn on the way and it would be awful if she/he was fatherless
We also have to remember that thousands are dying, and they all have loved ones, too
And the doctors, nurses and auxiliaries: what courage they have to go to work every day knowing the risks. They are hospital soldiers.

Oldsmobile-88

On a tangent from the serious issues facing the country.
It may sound trivial in the grand scheme of what’s going on at the moment.The Foreign Office has extended the ‘advised not to travel’ from the U.K. recommendation from 16th April to indefinitely.

This leaves the travel industry in limbo because they cannot cancel holiday bookings to a set date( ie 30thJune) that is causing confusion to the industry & consumers.
In theory a traveller could be told their holiday is officially off only a couple of days before departure.

We all know that no one is likely to be going anywhere before the 30th June at the earliest.

The FO should change ‘advise’ to ‘shall not’ then confusion will end & planning can take place.

Not high on any agenda I imagine,but 100,000s of jobs are connected to the travel industry & it could be wiped out for years to come without a bit of forethought now.

IndoMike

It may sound trivial in the grand scheme of what’s going on at the moment.The Foreign Office has extended the ‘advised not to travel’ from the U.K. recommendation from 16th April to indefinitely.

This leaves the travel industry in limbo because they cannot cancel holiday bookings to a set date( ie 30thJune) that is causing confusion to the industry & consumers.
In theory a traveller could be told their holiday is officially off only a couple of days before departure.

We all know that no one is likely to be going anywhere before the 30th June at the earliest.

The FO should change ‘advise’ to ‘shall not’ then confusion will end & planning can take place.

Not high on any agenda I imagine,but 100,000s of jobs are connected to the travel industry & it could be wiped out for years to come without a bit of forethought now.
When we get the vaccine everything will work out OK. Until we do uncertainty will rule, Olds. Can't really expect any planning.
This virus has really got us by the ballz . It takes just one person to pick it up and then it doubles every couple of days. It is so contagious.
I don't know, of course, but I speculate that we and every other country has to get through next autumn and winter unscathed before we can start to relax and talk about travel : more or less a year virus-free before we're free

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster

Agreed, selfishly when I have a family holiday to Oz, 10yrs in the planning, booked for August...

Oldsmobile-88

Agreed, selfishly when I have a family holiday to Oz, 10yrs in the planning, booked for August...
Hopefully something is sorted out soon.