• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
That’s quite funny to be fair! :)
I was hoping it was a reference to the former dogged (opening?) batsman for England.
Thank you for that - it's a rare honour that I'll wear with pride!!
As for your final sentence - we May rarely agree but I still won't Boycott you on EW. :p

IndoMike

"She is Britain’s best known classicist, a Cambridge don with formidable intellect and a knack for getting people interested in all things ancient.
That combination of passionate erudition and accessibility would, you might think, make Mary Beard a shoo-in for the board of the country’s most prestigious historical institution.
You would be wrong. The 65-year-old scholar has been rejected by Downing Street as a trustee of the British Museum, the Observer understands. Whitehall sources said the decision last year to turn her down had been made because of her pro-European views, which she has frequently expressed via social media"

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Books. Ah, I remember books Beautiful things but a b*gg*r to dust. If you could take just one book with you to a deserted island, which would you take, Rae?
Can't take just one. Would prob be my three volume set of Green's Dictionary of Slang. Plenty of entertaining reading there. :)
(All my bookcases are glass fronted. No dusting for them. (y))

IndoMike

Can't take just one. Would prob be my three volume set of Green's Dictionary of Slang. Plenty of entertaining reading there. :)
(All my bookcases are glass fronted. No dusting for them. (y))
I would probably take the complete works of Shakespeare, for the wide range of themes, the comedy, the drama, and the sheer volume. When finished reading them all I could probably make a boat out of them.
Some orher contenders were Catch 22 and Don Quixote

IndoMike

No. 10 accused of smear campaign against top civil servants. If true it looks like the Johnson/ Cummings combo is definitely following in their master's (Trump's ) footsteps.
if some civil servants are not doing their job properly then deal with it in the right way. If you don't like them because they have a different opinion than you, you should listen, because they probably know more than you do .
I know Johnson was an American, but please let's not go down the Trump road

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
As for a EU army etc it won't happen, Not while the populist, Nationalists get voted into power all around the EU countries which seems likely at the moment
At this moment in time I'm talking about Macron's offer of France's Nuclear Deterrent as a "Nuclear umbrella" for the entire EU. Would voting be required for what looks like a no strings attached freebee? I see it as Macron and France not only setting themselves up as the de facto supreme EU military power but wonder what else could be in the in the pipeline? Would the France's four missile carrying submarines suffice for it's new role or would the plethora of new nuclear powers call for more such vessels that would naturally be built and manned by the French but paid for by the EU. Lots of power and lots of dosh.

DB9

At this moment in time I'm talking about Macron's offer of France's Nuclear Deterrent as a "Nuclear umbrella" for the entire EU. Would voting be required for what looks like a no strings attached freebee? I see it as Macron and France not only setting themselves up as the de facto supreme EU military power but wonder what else could be in the in the pipeline? Would the France's four missile carrying submarines suffice for it's new role or would the plethora of new nuclear powers call for more such vessels that would naturally be built and manned by the French but paid for by the EU. Lots of power and lots of dosh.
That might put France position in NATO under threat as they are already bound by the Attack one NATO country is an attack on all, He might want to play Billy Big Bollox within a EU army but I don't think the French voters would stand it, Him saying if say Romania is attacked then I'll put France at risk to save them, Not a vote winner in my book and as I've said, He's not popular and won't be in power for much longer

IndoMike

The Brexit fairy story is starting to fall apart :

"The British economy would be at most 0.16% larger by the middle of the next decade under a comprehensive trade deal with the US, the government has admitted, laying bare the limited benefits from striking an agreement with Donald Trump".

Remember Trump"s claim that a trade deal with the UK would be the biggest EVERRRR.? Anything to push BREXIT through. And the suckers bought it. You don't know if to laugh or cry.

DB9

"The British economy would be at most 0.16% larger by the middle of the next decade under a comprehensive trade deal with the US, the government has admitted, laying bare the limited benefits from striking an agreement with Donald Trump".

Remember Trump"s claim that a trade deal with the UK would be the biggest EVERRRR.? Anything to push BREXIT through. And the suckers bought it. You don't know if to laugh or cry.
Officials before Brexit said that the UK economy will shrink and no one on either side disputed this, Even after an EU/UK deal it will shrink, I think the main problem is no one knows by how much

Alistair20000

Source of quote would be useful please Indo.