• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I did watch that and all those people said the same, The "Usual" politicians are not listening to them, Ignore their concerns then comes along a populist politican says he'll make a difference and they vote for him. It was a cracking programme and gave a real insight into ordinary European lives
Indeed, it shows that too many governments and political parties have been sleep walking to this situation. The danger is that people who are voting for the "populist" parties are generally doing it for a specific reason for themselves that they feel mainstream parties are looking away from. But those parties have agendas that do not actually represent a majority of those voters values when it comes to intolerance and hate.

The traditional parties should see it as what it is. Not a shift in values, but a cry for help.

Grecian2K

Seems like Ms Patel is Priti Nasty as well!
(And reported in the Daily Heil too!! :eek: )

Look out Mr Bercow - you have a rival.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

I'm sure Mike will be along to say it's all hearsay and that we should only judge once a full enquiry has taken place with the results published.

If she has been bullying staff, this should be dealt with and quickly.

Rosencrantz

This seems to be what Dom wants, a fight with the civil service.

Grecian2K

Hope so...but not holding my breath.

Already that well-known party apparatchik "Mr Well-placed Source" has gallantly sprung to the (un)fair maiden's defence.
(And before you get all hissy Jason I'm NOT referring to you. Just the name being trotted out to the media in initial rebuttal)

Anyway, back to more pressing matters.
I have obtained (from my own "Well-placed Source") an Exeweb EXCLUSIVE revealing the PM's choices for his pretend edition of Desert Island discs last Sunday.
Here comes the flood - Peter Gabriel
Let the River Run - Carly Simon
Why does it always rain on me - Travis
Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder
Drowning in the Deep - Adele
It Wasn't Me - Shaggy
Nowhere Man - The Beatles

DB9

Indeed, it shows that too many governments and political parties have been sleep walking to this situation. The danger is that people who are voting for the "populist" parties are generally doing it for a specific reason for themselves that they feel mainstream parties are looking away from. But those parties have agendas that do not actually represent a majority of those voters values when it comes to intolerance and hate.

The traditional parties should see it as what it is. Not a shift in values, but a cry for help.
Indeed, The leaders of those populist parties in Europe have their own nasty agendas that they tend to hide from the voters until or if they get in power

Spoonz Red E

Indeed, The leaders of those populist parties in Europe have their own nasty agendas that they tend to hide from the voters until or if they get in power
The biggest aid to populists is misinformation.

So beware of those with power who want to:
  • restrict access to independent or critical press and media
  • torpedo the independent national broadcasters
  • avoid real time scrutiny (live radio, tv etc)
  • delay or fail to publish possibly critical reports
  • reduce the powers of those who would hold them accountable
  • feed outright lies to their media relayers
  • target outright lies to social media recipients
  • cultivate links with media barons who will character assassinate their political opposition

Mentioning no names of course.

Last edited:

IndoMike

The biggest aid to populists is misinformation.

So beware of those with power who want to:
  • restrict access to independent or critical press and media
  • torpedo the independent national broadcasters
  • avoid real time scrutiny (live radio, tv etc)
  • delay or fail to publish possibly critical reports
  • reduce the powers of those who would hold them accountable
  • feed outright lies to their media relayers
  • target outright lies to social media recipients
  • cultivate links with media barons who will character assassinate their political opposition

Mentioning no names of course.
This has been happening for years, Spoonz, but Trump has accentuated the problem and gotten away with it. Challenging the norms of democracy, including the judicial system, using all the tactics that you listed above is proving to be a walk in the park and many leaders have jumped on the bandwagon.
Meanwhile, populism provides simplistic diagnoses and simplistic solutions. The average bloke or lass in the street is much more likely to soak this up than anything more complex. You know - 4 legs good, 2 legs bad. I'm not saying that those average blokes and lasses in the street are thick : I'm just saying that they are too busy or apathetic to want to look into the detail. It's a populist's paradise
Anyway, you reap what you sow .

IndoMike

I'm sure Mike will be along to say it's all hearsay and that we should only judge once a full enquiry has taken place with the results published.

If she has been bullying staff, this should be dealt with and quickly.

Unfortunately your idea of "sure" does not match reality.
This was my last post on Bercow :

"Because it is alleged. As you say, he said she said.
Bercow has the right to defend himself. But if he is guilty there is nothing worse than abuse of power and I'm sure it occurs in thousands of workplaces and institutions in the UK and others. The whistle blowing systems must be in place and complaints should be dealt with fairly and swiftly. Too many institutions just don't want to get involved with it".

Never mind. I might have strong views but there are enough sycophantic toadies in this world without me adding to the list, right?
Of course, I'm not referring to you when I say that. You are your own man. (y) :)

IndoMike

We might be nasty but we certainly aren't cheap. We employ 60,000 people and make about $25bn a year.
Can you lend me a fiver?