• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Limited edition Brexit 50p coins, dated October 31 2019, are set to be shredded and melted down after the UK’s departure from the EU was delayed by three months"

Proof that the Tory Govt is in meltdown..
What a waste of money ! Plus the billions spaffed on no deal planning, absolutely criminal.

Remember well the quitter’s fury on here and elsewhere over Cameron’s £9m leaflet drop, Gove and Johnson’s comments too, small change by comparison. Hypocrites all.

Mr Jinx

So you thinking a GE will be the end of it all because at the moment the polls say Johnson is way ahead? It will never be that simple, The Lib Dems will mobilise remain or revoke voters, TBP will go along the lines of Johnson's deal is not Brexit and his broken promises. There will be twists and turns and as for Labour, Gawd knows. In Scotland the Tories I think will be in for a kicking, Wales Labour will have the same kicking. 5 million Labour voters voted leave and 4 million Tory voters voted remain, 9 million votes up for grabs. Big gamble by Johnson and look what happened to May after having a 21 point lead when she called a GE
As I have said before, it's a huge gamble - anything can happen. Will it be the end of it all? There's a strong chance it won't, but then it'd be no worse than where we're currently at. It's worth a punt. Boris Johnson is not Theresa May, and that, I believe, will make all the difference. At least most of the squatters will be cleared out. Can't wait until SourBerry gets her wings clipped.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I think the biggest thing that has been highlighted is the arrogance of our political class - they didn't countenance the public being out of step with them in voting against the status quo, and still fail to countenance this. All the while treading as carefully as possible in avoiding saying "we think you got your decision wrong, we don't wish to act upon it". It could, of course, all have been so different had Remain fought a positive campaign.

Incidentally re: the upcoming election, I heard a rumour that Swinson is planning to "chicken run" and vacate her current marginal constituency in favour of what appears to be a safe bet, the seat about to be vacated by her predecessor as leader.
Rubbish. What it's highlighted is the ruling party's inability to respect the closeness of the referendum result and the Brexiters abandonment of their pre ref positions in favour of "total surrender" rather than leavers consent.

Incidentally, I've heard a rumour that de Pfeff planning to "chicken run".

IndoMike

What a waste of money ! Plus the billions spaffed on no deal planning, absolutely criminal.

Remember well the quitter’s fury on here and elsewhere over Cameron’s £9m leaflet drop, Gove and Johnson’s comments too, small change by comparison. Hypocrites all.
It's been this Government''s pastime wasting money. Look no further than Grayling. Paying for studies into this and studies into that. Always talk but never any action. Have they sorted out the Dawlish railway line problem yet, promised around 6 years ago. Fark knows what they have done with all the money they have accrued.
Same with DCC councils, too.

IndoMike

I said a long time ago on these boards that I think Johnson doesn't give a damn if we Brexit or not. Jumping on the Brexit wagon was just a means to an end : to become PM. Just like Trump, he seems to be a man of few principles
But he has driven himself into a corner, and can't get out. He knows if Brexit goes t+ts up the buck stops with him He reminds me of Alec Guiness' colonel in Bridge Over the River Kwai when he discovers the wires for the explosives ; "What have I done?!"

tavyred

Rubbish. What it's highlighted is the ruling party's inability to respect the closeness of the referendum result and the Brexiters abandonment of their pre ref positions in favour of "total surrender" rather than leavers consent.
Speaking personally, Brexit in 2017 was a done deal, both main parties were seemingly happy to get it done and consequently people like me voted for a party outside of its general view on Brexit.
What subsequently transpired was that rather than get Brexit done both main parties mitigated against the referendum result and in some cases have been openly hostile to the result.
BJ is about to get the ballpark majority that TM was hoping to get in 2017, and Remainers are going to have to suck it up.

Grecian2K

But how can Johnson stand for parliament when he's dead in a ditch?

elginCity

......get Brexit done......
Party parrot. The result of successful brainwashing, frightening.

arthur

Speaking personally, Brexit in 2017 was a done deal, both main parties were seemingly happy to get it done and consequently people like me voted for a party outside of its general view on Brexit.
Speaking personally, in 2017 it wasn't. There was no agreement on what "it" was and we were electing a parliament that would try to come to some agreement. It was unable to, because Brexit will damage the country, however "it" is formulated.

The process by which we have got to the current situation is called representative democracy, and I would commend it to you...

elginCity

BJ is about to get the ballpark majority that TM was hoping to get in 2017, and Remainers are going to have to suck it up.
May was caught out by the extent of erosion of leave support first year post-referendum, and that has been growing ever since. Johnson might appeal to his base, but quietly confident the rest don't buy it.