• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Austerity was the easy, unimaginative way to deal with the economic crisis. The problem with austerity is that it crushes people's hopes and squeezes the economy.
It pushes people and the economy further into a corner.
Clearly increasing taxes on the rich was one solution. Increased job training for the! unemployed and support for start-up small businesses would have helped. Companies who had s certain number of employees should have been obligated to hire one extra employee. I'm sure there were other more creative ideas, but the Govt was lazy
and just hit the austerity button. Shameful.
It wasn't just the austerity.

It was the disingenuousness (we're all in it together) false piety (as a government we have to make tough decisions) and the economic claptrap (ignoring the power of government investment, comparing the debt to an individual's credit card, casting debt as a ruinous cancer whilst - due to housing strategy - forcing heavy, unnecessary debt on people who then have to use much of their evermore insecure working income to service said debt).

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Well said Spoonz!!!
And, as I suggested earlier, once the veil of BREXIT is finally ripped away, we'll have the chance to see once more what a sycophantic cheerleader for "Osbornomics" Swinson always was in her previous governmental life.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A general election announcement this evening...

Grecian2K

I thought the Trust elections were not due for a couple more weeks. Has the increased traffic generated by the Exeweb hustings forced them to be brought forward? :p

Rosencrantz

Kind of...looks like a bit of cakeism. More time to debate bill but only if you agree to election. Still doesn't rule out no deal and wouldn't know if the bill has passed or not. From a blind brexit to a blind election. Can't see Labour going for it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Kind of...looks like a bit of cakeism. More time to debate bill but only if you agree to election. Still doesn't rule out no deal and wouldn't know if the bill has passed or not. From a blind brexit to a blind election. Can't see Labour going for it.
Sounds like the motion will now be timetables for Monday.

Grecian2K

12th December????
The day before most of those "pesky Corbynite students" break up for their Xmas Vacs.
Go for it Jezza (before they all depart from their registered adresses for their hollibobs).
Surely Clever Cum Mings should have advised his loyal little labradoodle that 19th would have been a far safer bet!
(Actually, 26th would have been even better - they could have re branded it as "Ballot-Boxing-Day)

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

They can announce away but if Gramps ain't got the bottle for one, it's not going to happen.

Anyway I think it depends on whether he can get the Queen's speech through or not. If he can't then absolutely we should have a GE. If Corbyn turns one down again then I despair.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
It's what you get when "detail" is not a strength, maybe we need a lawyer as PM ;)
Slightly different outlook from me, but IMHO it was, is, and will be what happens at any time Brexit meets detail.

I mean, anyone with half an ounce knows that Boris's fake deadline wasn't about out manoeuvring the EU. I think he always knew he was going to pivot and sell out the DUP, he just hoped he could ram it through without scrutiny. Basically, without a ge, he's ******. And even with one, he hasn't necessarily got a solution.

iscalad

12th December????
The day before most of those "pesky Corbynite students" break up for their Xmas Vacs.
Go for it Jezza (before they all depart from their registered adresses for their hollibobs).
Surely Clever Cum Mings should have advised his loyal little labradoodle that 19th would have been a far safer bet!
(Actually, 26th would have been even better - they could have re branded it as "Ballot-Boxing-Day)
Or shortened it to Bollox Day.