• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Hilarious to note that with the possibility of a ‘deal’ in the offing, all those MP’s that were going ballistic at the thought of no deal have suddenly switched emphasis and have started trashing the idea of any deal without another referendum. These characters have no intention in honouring the original referendum decision. Super Saturday is going to be interesting.
But those Tory rebels, and Nick Boles for example, look very likely to vote FOR Brexit, yet again. I wonder how many Brexiters will vote against this time?

It really is no good bleating on about people that have always been opposed to Brexit as an idea, when you cannot get your own side on board.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
But, surely with such a MASSIVE poll lead and popularity rating surely ANY seat in the country would vote him in almost unopposed? (Even a head to head with Jessa in his north London sinecure)
Still, slinking off to a safe, blue Tory bolt hole wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Once a coward and a bully, always a coward and a bully.
You call it cowardly. I call it prudent.

Uxbridge is essentially a seat in Remain heavy London and his majority is only 5 odd thousand. That's less than our Tory MP had at the last election before he got ousted (comfortably too). Don't underestimate the force and effectiveness of Corbyn's Momentum troops. Concentrated campaigning by them there would make a lot of difference. Compare that to the leafy home county areas Beaconsfield or Hammond's Runnymede where it's a whole different story. They're as safe as they come. Corbyn or the LDs wouldn't even make a dent.

tavyred

But those Tory rebels, and Nick Boles for example, look very likely to vote FOR Brexit, yet again. I wonder how many Brexiters will vote against this time?

It really is no good bleating on about people that have always been opposed to Brexit as an idea, when you cannot get your own side on board.

That’s a fair point, but the Benn Act was supposedly put there to avert the immediate danger of a no deal Brexit. Now there’s talk of a deal, the extension is being talked about as a vehicle for a confirmatory referendum. Dominic Greive was visibly ratty at the thought of a BJ brokered deal the other day, loads of MP’s like him have revelled in the chaos of the U.K. struggling to find a deal because it’s helped their cause to reverse Brexit. A deal totally scuppers the Brexit wreckers plans.

iscalad

That’s a fair point, but the Benn Act was supposedly put there to avert the immediate danger of a no deal Brexit. Now there’s talk of a deal, the extension is being talked about as a vehicle for a confirmatory referendum. Dominic Greive was visibly ratty at the thought of a BJ brokered deal the other day, loads of MP’s like him have revelled in the chaos of the U.K. struggling to find a deal because it’s helped their cause to reverse Brexit. A deal totally scuppers the Brexit wreckers plans.
That supposes the deal will be ratified by Parliament and the EU.

elginCity

The Conservative and Unionist Party would never wilfully sacrifice NI on the high altar of Brexit. Dismantling the ‘precious’ union, good grief, the blue rinse would be apoplectic. Wouldn’t they ?

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
He's always been opposed to Brexit Tavy. Why should he change?

The real point in "Boris' deal" isn't Ireland, even if that is May MK1 repackaged, it is the total removal of alignment, which is a significant divergence from May. If his deal passes, and I suspect it might, he'll still be dealing with Farage under the "betrayal" banner, and he'll also have to deal with the soft brexiters joining with the remainers to ensure you're back to BRINO.

Getting it over is really just getting it started.

tavyred

Dominic Greive voted for Art.50 Spanks.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Dominic Greive voted for Art.50 Spanks.
They all did, pretty much, Tavy. Greive and his ilk aren't the issue, never have been.

It's the brexiters that haven't voted for a deal, and are likely not to vote for Boris' deal that are the real problem.

IndoMike

Several MPs, including Johnson, have made contradictory comments about leaving, deals, and remaining.
Personally, I don't want NO DEAL or DEAL. I want to remain. AFAiC, anything that can be done to stop BREXIT us a good thing.
Before people start screaming about REMAIN being antidemocratic, with 2 million new teenagers able to vote and 2 million oldies having popped of, I very much doubt that REMAINERS are in the minority.
LEAVERS : you had your chance to leave for the last 3 years but couldn't achieve it. Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news.

Alistair20000

Several MPs, including Johnson, have made contradictory comments about leaving, deals, and remaining.
Personally, I don't want NO DEAL or DEAL. I want to remain. AFAiC, anything that can be done to stop BREXIT us a good thing.
Before people start screaming about REMAIN being antidemocratic, with 2 million new teenagers able to vote and 2 million oldies having popped of, I very much doubt that REMAINERS are in the minority.
LEAVERS : you had your chance to leave for the last 3 years but couldn't achieve it. Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news.
Have you assiduously asked all those who have shuffled off this mortal coil how they voted in the Referendum Indo ?