• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here is the most incendiary paragraph, in which the No 10 source implies the UK would withhold cooperation from any EU countries that support a Brexit extension. The source says:

"We will make clear privately and publicly that countries which oppose delay will go the front of the queue for future cooperation — cooperation on things both within and outside EU competences. Those who support delay will go to the bottom of the queue. [This source also made clear that defence and security cooperation will inevitably be affected if the EU tries to keep Britain in against the will of its government] Supporting delay will be seen by this government as hostile interference in domestic politics, and over half of the public will agree with us".

Internal message allegedly from the unelected Cummings. Starting to wonder if this bloke has a vested interest. His acidic tone is so persistent
Hmmm, am I really going to the graun...

...https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jun/18/labour.whitehall

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'll try again..

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Love Heidi, me. 😄
She'd suck you in and blow you out in bubbles ;)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mike, November 1991(27 years ago) Germany was half country with a wall down the middle - what are they gonna be like in another 27? It's bleeding Frightening!! As for No2 in the EU, that's a confidential squabble between the French and the Germans themselves as to whom will occupy that berth. Going back as far as President Mitterand it might be a good time to flag up official photographs of the gatherings of the 28 heads of government just to see who stands in the very centre of the front rank looking all the world like the boss of a New York Mafia family. I believe in one of her last gatherings Mrs May found herself placed in the back row. Finally, Jean-Claude Juncker is being replaced as President of the European Commission by the German battlecruiser Von der Leyen while Mario Draghi steps down in favour of France's Christine Lagarde. 2 top jobs for the girls of the 2 top countries.
Stuffy
I just don't share your view that France and Germany are out for European domination.
I don't feel concerned about that at all. And even if it were true, wouldn't it be better for us to be on the inside than outside looking in? Yes, they are both comparatively powerful, but that's the natural order of things. The mere fact that they both want to stay in the EU indicates to me that they want to work in a partnership with other nations.
I'm not fearful of Japan either, by the way : I think it's an admirable country now.
For me any threats come from China and it's attempts to control Eastern Asia both economically and militarily and Russia, which was humiliated after Afghanistan and the break - up of the Soviet Union and wants to get back the Baltic countries.
China is very worrying : Russia less so, but it will do it's best to be a thorn In our shoes
and to destabilise those Baltic countries

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Lib Dems have a very good policy on recycling rubbish!
Your missus still voting Limp-Dem (as the Mirror's Kevin Maguire used(?) to call them) ;)

IndoMike

She'd suck you in and blow you out in bubbles ;)
Oooo errrr missus
© Alistair

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Your missus still voting Limp-Dem (as the Mirror's Kevin Maguire used(?) to call them) ;)
This is now a very anti Lib Dem household!

IndoMike

Sorry Stuffy. I don't get your point.

tavyred

“Europe is France and Germany, the rest is just trimmings”. Charles De Gaulle. :)

I think the most telling line from the No. 10 leakage this morning, is the one which says Dublin and Brussels keep on making the mistake of listening to people who lost the referendum in 2016. Lot of truth in that, not for the first time Big Dom has his finger on the pulse of the nation.

arthur

What's always intrigued me about this paranoia about Germany ("A united Europe under strong German leadership - third time lucky, Ja?" (H Wehn)) is that it seems far more prevalent in England than in the countries invaded, occupied and brutalised by Germany in the first half of the 1940s. Why are we far more wary of perceived German ambition than, for instance, Belgium or the Netherlands?