• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have to sleep now. Happy to continue tomorrow
Nighty night..Don’t let the mosquitoes bite..

Rosencrantz

......is the wrong answer.
The reason is simple, MP’s voted to hand over the decision on our EU membership to the people and backed that up subsequently by voting to enact art. 50 which means we leave after two years of negotiations, be they successful or otherwise. To simply ignore those things, MP’s are fully aware that would leave us open to the biggest democratic crisis in yours or my lifetimes. Even the LibDems realise they need a new mandate via a General Election to justify a change in the current democratic imperative, and even then there are concerns about the democratic legitimacy of sidelining a referendum designed wholly to determine our continued EU membership. I think you and others minimise the potential fallout for our democracy if Brexit is denied.
Whatever happens from now to the foreseeable future, Farage has won. It has been his aim, creating single policy parties (UKIP and TBP) to make EU membership the first thing on the UK politics table. He chipped away and chipped away and eventually Cameron took the plunge with a referendum promise, and then the UK public had a decision to make that the majority of it didn't really have much feeling for either way.

Now we have had since the 2015 GE and the referendum being announced what is amounting to a shutdown of government and parliament for four years and counting whilst the NHS, education, public investment etc has been largely sidelined. Does anyone know the outcome of the Grenfell Fire enquiry? Has there been one?

Now we are heading into a General Election where the focus will again be on Brexit, with every other policy a side show at best. And any outcome of that election will not change Europe being the dominant issue whether we get a deal, leave with no deal or remain. Any outcome will lengthen Farage's political career without ever being an elected member of parliament.

What we have is political chaos which could lead to constitutional chaos with the supreme court decision due and possible issues with NI and Scotland with no end in sight.

NB. I see that Cameron regrets not winning the referendum. Perhaps he missed a trick, if he wanted to remain, himself and Osbourne should have campaigned to leave 😉.

Alistair20000

You don’t have an argument, you’re trying to apply a threshold to a referendum decision that has never existed. 50%+1 was all that was required. I understand you personally wished there was a higher threshold to change the status quo, but their wasn’t. As regards the status in law of the referendum, you’re right it is only advisory. In that case, take yourself on an intellectual journey and explain to me why a Parliament with a 2/3rds Remain bias hasn’t just cancelled the Brexit vote?
If 50% +1 was good enough for Paddy Ashdown it should be good enough for us all.

arthur

Whatever happens from now to the foreseeable future, Farage has won. It has been his aim, creating single policy parties (UKIP and TBP) to make EU membership the first thing on the UK politics table. He chipped away and chipped away and eventually Cameron took the plunge with a referendum promise, and then the UK public had a decision to make that the majority of it didn't really have much feeling for either way.

Now we have had since the 2015 GE and the referendum being announced what is amounting to a shutdown of government and parliament for four years and counting whilst the NHS, education, public investment etc has been largely sidelined. Does anyone know the outcome of the Grenfell Fire enquiry? Has there been one?

Now we are heading into a General Election where the focus will again be on Brexit, with every other policy a side show at best. And any outcome of that election will not change Europe being the dominant issue whether we get a deal, leave with no deal or remain. Any outcome will lengthen Farage's political career without ever being an elected member of parliament.

What we have is political chaos which could lead to constitutional chaos with the supreme court decision due and possible issues with NI and Scotland with no end in sight.

NB. I see that Cameron regrets not winning the referendum. Perhaps he missed a trick, if he wanted to remain, himself and Osbourne should have campaigned to leave 😉.
Lest we forget - the view from January 2016.

elginCity

Astounding. From the Torygraph as well, so it must be true.

After decades of a loss of control at the borders, lack of sovereignty, being 'dictated' to, and 'shackled' by the EU, the NHS being short changed, and the public felt so strongly about it that they couldn't have cared less.

Alistair20000

Astounding. From the Torygraph as well, so it must be true.

After decades of a loss of control at the borders, lack of sovereignty, being 'dictated' to, and 'shackled' by the EU, the NHS being short changed, and the public felt so strongly about it that they couldn't have cared less.
So why did a record number turn out to vote in the Referendum ? Just interested like.

elginCity

So why did a record number turn out to vote in the Referendum ? Just interested like.
Linked from that previous article.....6 months before the referendum.

City AM

However, if the word is not security but migration, if a big voice emerges to challenge him and the campaign catches fire, then the result cannot be certain. So far, the outers – disunited on personality and policy – are struggling to sing from one hymn sheet. The game is theirs to lose and, despite a fair wind from a disillusioned and sceptical public, they are failing to cut through. Why? The very issue that could win it for them – migration.

Boris Johnson was the 'big voice'.....Turkish invasion fears, Syrian refugee posters and a big red lie-ridden bus caught the imagination.

Last edited:

arthur

Because it was an opportunity for people to express their anger and frustration. I vividly remember Duncan Smith, on the evening of 23rd June, saying "we're seeing people voting, particularly on Council estates, who've never voted before". It wasn't really about Europe was it, let's be honest......

Alistair20000

Because it was an opportunity for people to express their anger and frustration. I vividly remember Duncan Smith, on the evening of 23rd June, saying "we're seeing people voting, particularly on Council estates, who've never voted before". It wasn't really about Europe was it, let's be honest......
I was always taught to read the question carefully and then answer it :)

DB9

Exactly right arthur, The result was a kick up the backside to Cameron and Co. For the first time in a generation and after six years of austerity, The public had enough of the politicians and instead of a GE with all the different policies they had a simple in or out question

Last edited: