• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am really disturbed by the devious nature of politicians. I know this is not just a recent state of affairs, but Trump has certainly taken it to an extreme level and copycats are appearing.

This idea that you can make a clear statement or express an opinion and then the next day deny you ever said it, despite proof to the contrary, is very dangerous. Even more disturbing is the fact that a lot of people are not bothered by it or accept it.

So the Luxembourg chap and Boris agreed to hold a joint press conference but Boris walked away. It's true there was a small group of protesters outside making some noise but it would have been better for Johnson to at least have started the press conference and then agree to postpone if the protesters made too.much noise. However, this has been turned into an attack on Luxembourg for humiliating the UK, with the Yanks inevitably jumping on the bandwagon.
Finally, the mere fact that the Yanks and Russians are so joyous about UK leaving Europe confirms to me that it is a big mistake.
Behave Indo.

Had Boris started the Conference, been shouted down and closed it, you would be calling him a craven coward, running away or some such similar wordage blah, blah, blah.

As for the not very important, jumped up leader from Luxembourg, this di*khead’s behaviour was frankly atrocious and some of the saner voices in the EU were extremely embarrassed by his childish antics and have said so. It was on a par with Teaser being excluded from an EU dinner a while back. Rude, arrogant to55ers.

None of this sort of shi*e is doing Boris any harm at all as far as I can see.

Alistair20000

Tavy and are no different to hundreds of thousands of Brits who are grappling with BREXIT. It is frustrating for many. He doesn't sit on the fence and neither do I. It's all cool : conflictive but cool.
.I can assure you that my blood pressure is ALWAYS 120/110 top and 80/70 bottom. Considering I have a quick fag behind the shed and love fried breakfasts I am a walking biological miracle..😆👍
Now, about your question. I imagine both Remainers and Leavers would have said that, but since you are a Leaver I'd guess you're pointing the finger at Corbyn or suchlike, although it doesn't seem to be his style of language. Sounds more colonial : maybe it was me? 😊
You or Magic Grandpa may have said it but it is not the answer on the card.

IndoMike

Behave Indo.

Had Boris started the Conference, been shouted down and closed it, you would be calling him a craven coward, running away or some such similar wordage blah, blah, blah.

As for the not very important, jumped up leader from Luxembourg, this di*khead’s behaviour was frankly atrocious and some of the saner voices in the EU were extremely embarrassed by his childish antics and have said so. It was on a par with Teaser being excluded from an EU dinner a while back. Rude, arrogant to55ers.

None of this sort of shi*e is doing Boris any harm at all as far as I can see.
I did say it was Luxman's Kevin Keegan. moment.
I thought his assessment was perfectly accurate : the EU is quite rightly absolutely sick of the UK Govt. So are you, so don't be surprised. And so are many in.the country - haven't you noticed? How long does the EU have to wait until we graciously sort out our self-made carp? I'm afraid your view is purely from the UK perspective and ignored the history of the BREXIT process.
Regarding your question, it could be Cameron, Farage, any leading Leaver of Remainer. I assume you are revealing someone's hypocrisy - no surprise about that Ali.

PS : I think you need a bigger card
PPS : Hope you're sleeping OK. Not my business really, but you seem very nocturnal

tavyred

***insomnia alert***.
Ali’s mystery hypocrite is the late Paddy Ashdown, he uttered those words on referendum night in response to the possibility of Farage et al not accepting the then predicted remain win. Jo Swinson was confronted with it on her borderline car crash interview on GMB on Monday.

IndoMike

***insomnia alert***.
Ali’s mystery hypocrite is the late Paddy Ashdown, he uttered those words on referendum night in response to the possibility of Farage et al not accepting the then predicted remain win. Jo Swinson was confronted with it on her borderline car crash interview on GMB on Monday.
OK Tavy. Thanks for the info. I guess Swinson's reply would be that it was Ashdown's words, not hers.
But anyway : bloody politicians. I know they're all the same, but at the moment it's the Tories (almost) in control so they have to be held accountable for whatever goes wrong.
Believe me, I am no fan of Corbyn, but some of his policies are fairer to the hard done by. I have never voted Labour but I would if you held a gun to my head. In the case of the Tories I'd take the bullet.
The basic difference is that the elite centre-right /right (say that they) believe in the trickle down effect. But does wealth trickle down? It does to some extent (job creation) but I still think that the balance is not fair.
The system has always been manipulated to keep a certain percentage of the population down so that they must do the unpleasant, dirty, monotonous jobs that the middle-class upwards wouldn't dream of doing. If everyone started life in a nice home and went to a good school within a non- dysfunctional family then many social problems would disappear, but the likes of Mogg et al don't want that.
Yes, fairness and equal opportunity are Utopian : few countries get close to it (the Nordic countries), but we have to try harder.
For me Brexit is part of this grand scheme : exiting a European Union where at least theoretically equality and human rights is an aim. For Mogg and Co.it's not even an afterthought : they want to keep power and rule close at hand. Have to keep the prols in their place.

Please Note -
This is not a rant
I am calm

Last edited:

elginCity

....As for the not very important, jumped up leader from Luxembourg, this di*khead’s behaviour was frankly atrocious....
Straight from the Faragist school of thought; with Nige having described Bettel as a 'pipsqueak'.

Still, Johnson accepted the onus was on him to come up with 'alternative solutions' for the backstop by tomorrow. He accepted the challenge from the German leader, one not quite so 'jumped up' or a '********' and certainly no 'pipsqueak'. Let's hope the Vote Leave leadership 'delivers', or else Bettel , and the world, will have yet another reason to ridicule your hero.

Mr Jinx

Interesting to hear today that Labour will be revisiting their Clause 4 with a view to bringing it back some way to the original 1917 one. Not only that I see McDonnell is looking to peel back the private schooling system.

Wonder what all your thoughts are on that? Personally, I would support some legislation on private schooling like getting rid of charitable status, but a complete ban is way too far. Were that to happen, 600k kids are then forced into the state system and that puts pressure on everyone down the stack.

I don't think they've thought either through tbh. The ramifications of both just aren't vote winners in this day and age imho.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
The system has always been manipulated to keep a certain percentage of the population down so that they must do the unpleasant, dirty, monotonous jobs that the middle-class upwards wouldn't dream of doing. If everyone started life in a nice home and went to a good school within a non- dysfunctional family then many social problems would disappear, but the likes of Mogg et al don't want that.
The fact you actually believe this makes me laugh.
Without the unpleasant monotonous jobs being done the whole system breaks down , I use to do an unpleasant job but thought if I put a bit more effort in and sort a few things out instead of lining someone else's pockets I could line mine 3 years on I own my own company and doing better than I was before spending more time with my family and earning a lot more money !
In this day and age my early life would probably be seen as dysfunctional and BHL / Vincent Thompson wouldn't be seen as good schools its people's attitude once they left school that puts them where they want to be in later life.
I know a guy who had all the things I didn't in life great private school mummy and daddy paid for everything had all the extra's I didn't get the chance to have and is now sat in a 1 bed council flat trying to flog old tat on ebay he finds in charity shops.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting to hear today that Labour will be revisiting their Clause 4 with a view to bringing it back some way to the original 1917 one. Not only that I see McDonnell is looking to peel back the private schooling system.

Wonder what all your thoughts are on that? Personally, I would support some legislation on private schooling like getting rid of charitable status, but a complete ban is way too far. Were that to happen, 600k kids are then forced into the state system and that puts pressure on everyone down the stack.

I don't think they've thought either through tbh. The ramifications of both just aren't vote winners in this day and age imho.
The attack on private schools (which many of them attended and/or have sent their kids) is pure class war with little actual thought into the nuts and bolts.

Incidentally re: hypocrites in the Lib Dems, leaving aside the recent converts and their volte faces, who was quoted in 2008 demanding a referendum on EU membership? (Not Nick Clegg and his leaflet this time)

DB9

I can't agree with Labour on the private school thing, Agree with you Jinxy the charitable status should be looked at but getting rid of them is the politics of envy, If people work hard and can afford to send kids to private then good on them. I can see the case for renationalising some industries but not going backwards, It won't work or be a vote winner plus their total confusing Brexit stance, As Alan Johnson said "Labour will get slaughtered"