• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
You're saying that there's no conspiracy between Johnson and (e.g) Paul Marshall -= Marshall doesn't want NO DEAL because he has 30bn invested and doesn't want the economy to tank = NO DEAL could cause the economy to tank.
I'm saying nothing of the sort. Read the article - it is this piece of tinfoil hat nonsense that is making the claim that Johnson's hedge fund chums stand to make a packet should the "No Deal disaster" happen. While conveniently ignoring that their wider assets mean they wouldn't actually make on the economy tanking.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm saying nothing of the sort. Read the article - it is this piece of tinfoil hat nonsense that is making the claim that Johnson's hedge fund chums stand to make a packet should the "No Deal disaster" happen. While conveniently ignoring that their wider assets mean they wouldn't actually make on the economy tanking.
I'm talking about what you wrote, not the article. And you're clearly saying that these guys would not make a packet if NO DEAL happens but their 39bn investment is more at risk with NO DEAL because the economy might tank. You are saying that!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm talking about what you wrote, not the article. And you're clearly saying that these guys would not make a packet if NO DEAL happens but their 39bn investment is more at risk with NO DEAL because the economy might tank. You are saying that!
I am saying no such thing. I was speaking quite clearly about the conspiracy theory in the article. It is the article that claims the economy will tank in the event of no deal, not me.

IndoMike

I am saying no such thing. I was speaking quite clearly about the conspiracy theory in the article. It is the article that claims the economy will tank in the event of no deal, not me.
You are absolutely saying that by inference.
Don't you understand what you wrote?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
You are absolutely saying that by inference.
Don't you understand what you wrote?
I understand perfectly well what I wrote, and at no point did I say the economy would tank under no deal. It's you who has inferred, and inferred incorrectly.

IndoMike

I understand perfectly well what I wrote, and at no point did I say the economy would tank under no deal. It's you who has inferred, and inferred incorrectly.
I am confident that I inferred exactly what you implied, but in order to avoid a silly spat and because I'm listening to TMS i' m going to leave it for now.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Best line I've heard for a while, on Alexander de Pfeffel replacing Theresa May;

"It's the first time a robot has been replaced by an unskilled worker."

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... the article in question produces all these lovely bar charts without any citation so as to avoid fact-checking scrutiny and puts in links that don't link to anything they are quoting in terms of the figures they've put in to make their (somewhat spurious in any case) point.
From what I can see, it's just a crowd-funded blog with quasi-journalistic aspirations. The internet seems filled with them these days.

Grecian2K

From what I can see, it's just a crowd-funded blog with quasi-journalistic aspirations. The internet seems filled with them these days.
Mostly funded by the likes of Banks, Odey, Tice etc from the smug safety of their tax havens.

elginCity

The conspiracy theory around this has been thoroughly debunked in any case. For example, one of the people involved in the article, Paul Marshall, has £1.3bn in short positions, but has a total of around £30bn tied up in assets meaning it's not in his interest for the economy to tank. Something conveniently missed out by the article.
Debunked where ?

Billionaires’ assets and portfolio are globally diversified, often offshore. Should he make an overnight killing on a tanking currency and economy, as Crispin Odey did after the referendum result, he won’t even have to worry about realising any devalued UK assets, just sit on them !