• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
£2 ain't bad for our contribution
E
What a bleddy waste. The treasury could have joined the Trust.

IndoMike

She didn't care that much about not being liked. Subtle difference.
£400m of our money given to those indolent sods west of the Tamar? Where do Brussels get the money?

Apologies about the paywall but you should get the gist of it Mike.
I don't have an accountant's brain or the energy to work out the economic advantages and disadvantages of our EU membership, Stuffy. All I can do is look at the overall picture. As far as I can see we were doing fine before all this BREXIT : you don't need to change your chair if it's not broken. Most experts now say that our economy will shrink for at least a couple of years. That means more families will have to struggle (but not the Johnson or Mogg families), more people will be out on the streets, more food banks will be set up in schools).
If after a couple of years things pick up, I guess the Brexiters can say it was worth it.
Personally I think the whole BREXIT mess
was based on some romantic idea that Britain could rule the waves again combined with the Brits' dislike of foreigners : no other country has so many derogatory names for foreign nationals (frogs, krauts, wogs, dagos etc).One of the worst things is that we feel we have nothing to learn from others : only stupid countries think that.
The 2nd World War is over, Stuffy. Finished 70 years ago . Europe learned that a union would help to prevent a repetition.

DB9

Thing is the article is from the Telegraph so does come from an certain angle, I can't see the whole article, Does it say how much is rebated? Which we always get and that rebate was hard fought over, Also does it say how much is given to us in projects across the UK? Headlines like extra 50k Police Officers or nurses, How many would we get if we cancel HS2? Those are numbers journalists of newspapers know will grab your attention

IndoMike

Regarding the Yellowhammer documents, the Govt's refusal to release them hardly reassures the public that everything will be fine the days, weeks and months after BREXIT day. The obvious questions is : "What do they want to hide?"

DB9

Regarding the Yellowhammer documents, the Govt's refusal to release them hardly reassures the public that everything will be fine the days, weeks and months after BREXIT day. The obvious questions is : "What do they want to hide?"
They've released some Mike of possible worst case scenarios, Not the best thing if it goes tits up

IndoMike

They've released some Mike of possible worst case scenarios, Not the best thing if it goes tits up
Yes, I hear they've released a page or two, but IINM there are several pages.
Anyway, we'll start to find out soon enough if we exit with NO DEAL

DB9

Yes, I hear they've released a page or two, but IINM there are several pages.
Anyway, we'll start to find out soon enough if we exit with NO DEAL
Look at the BBC news website, Has a bullet point list of possible problems of a no deal

IndoMike

Look at the BBC news website, Has a bullet point list of possible problems of a no deal
Will do. Tx

IndoMike

Yes, it includes some but not all of the possible worst scenarios.
Let's hope things don't get so bad and the British spirit will pull through. What does concern me is not only the scenarios but if this Tory Govt is competent enough or caring enough to deal with them.
I can see Rees - Smug pulling up the drawbridge around his castle right now....or even moving abroad?

DB9

Yes, it includes some but not all of the possible worst scenarios.
Let's hope things don't get so bad and the British spirit will pull through. What does concern me is not only the scenarios but if this Tory Govt is competent enough or caring enough to deal with them.
I can see Rees - Smug pulling up the drawbridge around his castle right now....or even moving abroad?
I don't think they even care, We will get people saying we're going to get a deal and we've done loads to prevent these things happening, That I hope is true But they think it's more important to deliver Brexit and risk these things happening which to me is crazy