• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
As a quick aside on WW2 (in general), I'd like to tip a (metaphorical) sunday afternoon glass in the general direction of the Indian Volunteer Army, the largest volunteer army in history. (y)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
As a quick aside on WW2 (in general), I'd like to tip a (metaphorical) sunday afternoon glass in the general direction of the Indian Volunteer Army, the largest volunteer army in history. (y)
From Wiki
Churchill paid tribute to the unsurpassed bravery of Indian soldiers and officers.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
You been drinking Spanky?
Those posts are borderline gibberish. :)
Sorry Tavy, I forget that you operate in an alternative universe.

Here's a nice little history lesson for you, on how we "won" the war. It highlights the "token" help we received, and how we paved the way for those nations previously overrun to "prosper" in "freedom" and "democracy".

Yalta

Do yourself a favour. Don't become too much like the bigoted moaner in being a total verjazzle.

tavyred

Sorry Tavy, I forget that you operate in an alternative universe.

Here's a nice little history lesson for you, on how we "won" the war. It highlights the "token" help we received, and how we paved the way for those nations previously overrun to "prosper" in "freedom" and "democracy".

Yalta

Do yourself a favour. Don't become too much like the bigoted moaner in being a total verjazzle.
Is the accusation that during the Yalta conference Britain (without reference to the USA?) abandoned Poland to communism? I think the realpolitik at the time would suggest that Stalin was never going to give up his Eastern European 'gains' and the US and its junior partner Britain were never going to fight another war to force him to do so. You can understand the grievance in Poland, but do you think that Stalin should've been forced to give up Poland and the rest? If you do then I assume you would've been in favour of another war to force him.
I don't think I've ever said that "we won the war" or that any of the efforts of our allies was "token". I think you've got a touch of the 'indomikes' in that you find any hint of British success or exceptionalism a bit hard to stomach and contrary to you leftist self-loathing attitudes to your own country.

geoffwp

Looking at your mob yesterday it doesn’t appear that they have a decent riot in them. I don’t think your average Tarquin and Olivia can do serious civil disturbances.
I'm no friggin Tarquin though.

Alistair20000

I'm no friggin Tarquin though.
Yes we know that Olivia :)

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member

geoffwp

Yes we know that Olivia :)
Hang on, I'll get me frock.😂

IndoMike

Is the accusation that during the Yalta conference Britain (without reference to the USA?) abandoned Poland to communism? I think the realpolitik at the time would suggest that Stalin was never going to give up his Eastern European 'gains' and the US and its junior partner Britain were never going to fight another war to force him to do so. You can understand the grievance in Poland, but do you think that Stalin should've been forced to give up Poland and the rest? If you do then I assume you would've been in favour of another war to force him.
I don't think I've ever said that "we won the war" or that any of the efforts of our allies was "token". I think you've got a touch of the 'indomikes' in that you find any hint of British success or exceptionalism a bit hard to stomach and contrary to you leftist self-loathing attitudes to your own country.
I see you're still continuing this idea that I am anti-British. The conclusion is that you're either a wind-up merchant or find it difficult to understand the finer details of debate. My guess is the latter. Anyone can keep firing the "self-loathing" shot in a debate : it's quite easy. So I'll do the same and say it's usually the racists and foreigner- hating redneck types that are self-loathing. You know, people who are so unhappy with their own lives that they point the finger at others : makes them feel better. It's very convenient to do that.
In the end you just have to feel sorry for them : they usually have very limited life experience, which increases their narrow-mindedness. Sad feckers... very sad.

Alistair20000

Easy one that, Al. You could help Tavy who’s struggling to come up with a tangible benefit of Brexit, no deal variety. There must be loads keeping you lot on the bandwagon, just the one would make my glass half full again ! Just one.
1. No longer being a net contributor to an organisation that wastes large amounts of money and which keeps dodgy accounts.

2. Control of our borders so that we determine who can come here.

3. Not having the EU micro manage our affairs.

4. Primacy of laws passed by our own Parliament and overseen by our own judiciary. Freedom from the ECJ which is a court of political appointees (many of which would not be good enough to be part of our own judiciary) and which makes decisions based on the needs of “The Project” rather than on legal principle. An ineffective organ that does not enforce its own decisions. As a single example, the illegal French ban on our beef that went unpunished for years.

5. Freedom from an unaccountable, bullying organisation that has laid waste to the economies of several small countries and created massive youth unemployment on the altar of a vanity project called the Euro.

6. No longer part of an organisation that does not listen to the views of its Member populations and forces them to vote again until they come up with the “right” answer.

Elgy, I know you only asked for one reason but I thought it might make you feel better to set out a few reasons.

Here to cheer you up matey B🍻