• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well Boris that was the easy bit.

All uphill from here. And remember this quote from fictional PM Harry Perkins (the late great Ray McAnally) in "A Very British Coup" as you look across to the Opposition benches:

"Its not the bastards over there that you need to worry about. Its the bastards behind you."

Temporarily Exiled

A resounding victory for compromise candidate, Don't Know:

Suck it up Remainers. You brought this on yourselves!
You keep repeating this but can't ever seem to back up why.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Suck it up Remainers. You brought this on yourselves!
Actually none of this chaos is our fault. You really need to accept that you're part of the problem, a problem that all those who voted leave created

arthur

Where's Jason at a momentous time like this? Filling out his application form to join the Gaukeward squad?

arthur

Actually none of this chaos is our fault. You really need to accept that you're part of the problem, a problem that all those who voted leave created
A problem that their representatives now own... So it'll all get sorted smartish, no doubt

Alistair20000

Where's Jason at a momentous time like this? Filling out his application form to join the Gaukeward squad?

I think he posted that he was away until early August.

Bittners a Legend

Nail on head.

The law has to operate in the real world in a sensible way otherwise it loses respect. Once the government undertook in writing and in the plainest terms to implement the result of the referendum it could not reasonably row back on that. The people who read the leaflet were entitled to believe it was honestly written as regard the promise/undertaking to implement the result.

The lawyers, arch remainers et al can spin, finesse and over complicate as much as they like on this but it just does not wash when a common sense approach is taken. We voted to leave. We were promised the decision would be implemented. When it does not happen people get very angry and justifiably so. Keep it simple.
The government has spent three years trying to implement the result. It's failure to do so is because the realities do not match up with the promises and delusion of the Leave campaign. It is utterly depressing that anybody with a brain would try and pretend otherwise. You might want to leave regardless of the consequences, but is is quite clear the government has tried to implement the result while doing its best to protect the country as best possible. The approach has been common sense. What is not common sense is the childish, toys out the pram, we'll leave because leave means leave. The world is complicated. It isn't simple. Shock Horror. It's why we have experts, vote for MPs etc. We can take a "simple" approach to things but it won't get us very far.

There are things in the world it is justifiable to get "very angry" about (such as the suffering of the poor in the Global South). Not having a No Deal Brexit delivered is not one of them. This country has lost all perspective. It is very sad. We have lost all sense of decency and honesty. Championing No Deal, particularly when we clearly aren't prepared for it, is just plain irresponsible and not something to be "very angry" about.

Alistair20000

The world is complicated. It isn't simple. Shock Horror. It's why we have experts, vote for MPs etc. We can take a "simple" approach to things but it won't get us very far.
My most successful client told me years ago:

"People say business is complicated. It is not. It is basically very simple. It is people that make business complicated"

I think this applies on a wider basis. Simple solutions work best. As for the "experts" they are often as wrong as they are right and politicians are a species that I am sorry to say I have very little respect for with a few honourable exceptions.

IndoMike

Brexit was a classic example of "Let sleeping dogs lie"., you might get bitten in the arse .
PS. Not sure why this is underlined, but fuk it

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Boris is a meta-*****.
A person who thinks they are giving the clever illusion of masquerading as an idiot but is actually just an idiot.

He's had at least two extramarital offspring with different women, which is morally bankrupt on the first count and just incredibly stupid on the second. Anyone who can't even manage his own personal life has no business managing an entire countries social and economic welfare. I don't have any faith in him managing to sit the right way on a toilet.