• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Temporarily Exiled

My advice: Do all you can to amplify your vote. A vote for Lib Dems, Greens or Change UK will be seen as a vote for remain - they'll all be seen the same way the big parties and the media. A seat for Lib Dems, Greens or Change UK is even bigger, as that means another person with a platform to talk about why we already have the best deal.

Vote for the party that is most likely to get a seat. I've postal voted and had to do it off current polling (because things may swing around another way by the 23rd), but Remain United currently advocate voting for the Lib Dems in each English region, Plaid Cymru in Wales and the SNP in Scotland. They estimate that if 50% of remain party voters voted tactically, remain parties would win 60% more seats.

ComRes (on behalf of Remain United) will conduct another poll for each region and are publishing the results of that on Tuesday. If it says vote Lib Dems, vote Lib Dems. If it says vote Green, vote Green. If it says vote Change UK, screw it, vote Change UK. This is all about amplifying your vote, and tactical voting, even if that means holding your nose, is the best way to do it. I know they will possibly all sit in completely different EuroParl groups, but if we don't amplify our votes then their seat may be taken by someone whose party wants out.

Or Renew.
Renew have folded into Change UK for this election.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
No chance with Change UK! Seem to be floundering after their initial enthusiasm.
Cannot even summon up a candidate to fight the Peterborough by election having failed to find a common “Remain” candidate with other parties. I suspect the real reason is that they know they would get a bad beating in a seat that voted heavily Leave. Frit.

Brexit party a shade of odds on with the Bookies to beat Labour. Might be long odds on after Thursday but we will need to wait to see.

elginCity

Because everything that has happened since about that period have been deceit. See posts to follow from the Tory faithful.
Eh ? (drunk)

Manifesto policies and pledges are bound to be compromised to an extent in any coalition, especially when the weighting is against you in the partnership. I like to think the Lib Dems curtailed the worst excesses of the Tories, which is all they were able to do realistically. The UK is not used to coalition governments, we don't all appreciate how they work.

elginCity

Shirley the very act of them entering into the coalition is sufficient evidence :S
Evidence of collusion ? Your dictionary definition must be different to mine.

IndoMike

A new thread, a new beginning.

Please try and keep to mature sensible debate. Insulting other Exewebbers is a no no, even when done in frustration and exasperation. Beware what you accuse someone of!
Do you have to keep taking it upon yourself to start threads on topics already being covered? I know you are an inveterate thread starter, bur can't you just for once butt out. I will only be posting on the GE thread, which has a lot of referencing we need to be able to debate. Goodbye.

Temporarily Exiled

Do you have to keep taking it upon yourself to start threads on topics already being covered? I know you are an inveterate thread starter, bur can't you just for once butt out. I will only be posting on the GE thread, which has a lot of referencing we need to be able to debate. Goodbye.
Good luck with that.

Alistair20000

Evidence of collusion ? Your dictionary definition must be different to mine.
Not really Elgy. Collusion was not the right choice of wordage. I was allowing Hants a bit of licence.

It seems to me that Lib Dem fundamentalists saw any agreement with the Tories as an act of treason rather than a recognition of the Parliamentary arithmetic, an heroic sacrifice in the National Interest, an attempt to curb the perceived excesses of the Tory party or whatever other reason was in point.

IndoMike

Oh, So he's also decided unilaterally to block the other thread. No choice for we prols, No request to close ....just closed.
I'm out.

Alistair20000

As Mr Exile says, good luck. Hants has locked the GE thread. This means I will need to repeat my questions put to The Jinxster.

I think we need a People’s Vote: Re-open the GE thread or Not ? Binary choice. We have all the info to decide.

elginCity

Indo, you can still reference t'other thread from here.