• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
If the edit function is used (deliberately or otherwise) to discredit another poster and perpetuate a myth that they lied, leading to others jumping in, should said poster not have the opportunity to have their name cleared?
The edit function wasn't used to discredit anybody. Its usage was denied, a flame war ensued, you as mod firefighter confirmed that it was indeed used. Nobody has a problem with that.

There was no need for you to go further to confirm and divulge the withdrawn content, that's my point.

IndoMike

The edit function wasn't used to discredit anybody. Its usage was denied, a flame war ensued, you as mod firefighter confirmed that it was indeed used. Nobody has a problem with that.

There was no need for you to go further to confirm and divulge the withdrawn content, that's my point.
With all the hundreds of comments flying around on this thread - claims and counter claims- it was my post that was selected by Jason. The reason is clear.

tavyred

Yep, sure is Indo.
You lied.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

It wasn't the use of the edit function that was denied, it was very specifically the posting of "Greens" - how could I therefore confirm that Tavyred wasn't lying without divulging the withdrawn content?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Be careful who you bad-mouth on social media - they might end up being your saviour:

tavyred

Not really, no.

Anyway, some good news as wages are now higher in real terms than they were pre-crisis.

Lost in the melee.
Important landmark this, an oft used accusation against the Tories is the lower value of wages compared to pre-crisis levels.
The U.K. jobs miracle continues to persist and the economic data generally is confounding the miserablists in our midst.

Grecian2K

Lost in the melee.
Important landmark this, an oft used accusation against the Tories is the lower value of wages compared to pre-crisis levels.
The U.K. jobs miracle continues to persist and the economic data generally is confounding the miserablists in our midst.
What a result!!! Congratulations old boy. Only took a decayed of Tory-led austerity for the 99% of us to be led back to (just about) parity to the days before the bankers and oligarchs scarpered off with all the ill-gottens back in 2008.
Not to mention all the "CEOs" and "Captains of Industry" who, throughout all those lean years for the majority of us still managed to grab inflation busting salary rises and "bonuses" year on year while the MAJORITY of us were dragged down into the financial swamp.

Doubles all round...and ALL HAIL TO THE CIRCULAR GLEE CLUB OF THOSE "REMUNERATION COMMITTEES who still keep it that way.

Grecian2K

Posts 9576, 9580, 9582 and 9599 all "perpetuate the myth" as they all relate to you denying all knowledge of the edited post and/or remarking on Tavyred's character as a result.

G2K had the decency to apologise to Tavyred for being duped by you into believing he (Tavyred) had lied about your support for the Greens.
Now, now Jason. Play nicely please.

I've frequently been accused of MANY things here on EW over the years, but NEVER "decency"

Bigotry, intolerance, elitism, metropolitanism, leftism, communism. But never the "d" word before.

I demand an immediate retraction and apology sirrah. After all, my entire contrarian reputation is at stake here!

Grecian2K

Anyhow, to drag this amusing little bun-fight back to current affairs (pun intended) very little so far seems to have been discussed about the potential impact of the recent (and completely inconclusive) Irish elections.

Our country already ONLY has a bit more that nine months now of the so-called "transition arrangement" to sort out all of the minutiae involved in moving on to this longed-for independence. Much of it will be totally bureaucratic and technical but still I fear the most immediate impact is most likely (in the short term at least) to come from our own border arrangements.

Of course we have al been made aware (by, not least, Mr Grayling and his imaginary ships and lines of cones on the M20) but, surely, the most pressing problem is the Irish one?

Love him or hate him (I actually hold no firm views either way) but at least Mr Varadkar has acted as a "bridge" between the UK & the EU so far - albeit probably out of self interest more than anything else - but he has, at least batted hard with the rest of the EUrocracy to help preserve some semblance of continuity. (I might even call it a "bridge" but BoJo & Co would probably accuse me of plagiarism)

Now that it seems he's likely to step aside (at least for a while) and watch his own political foes just scrap it out for the next who-knows-many-more-months as the Brexit clock finally runs down who the feck will be actually dealing with this particular issue? Probably some "junior Sabsky-wannabe" in Brussels?? I hope not.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Just to clarify to Mike, or anyone else that might be interested...

Just because you edit a post, does not mean that what was originally posted is removed from reality forever. I assume, in the modern age that we live, you have all heard of the screenshot?

As with all things internet, think VERY carefully before posting. Once it's out there, even for a moment, you've opened the door and allowed the opportunity for the information to spread.

The second moral to the story is that, when you're busted, own it.