• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Important to remember that 37% of the electorate voted to leave the EU, whilst of course 63% did not vote to leave.
Since the status quo was to be in the EU you would think a vote of more than 37% would be required to leave.
The required vote for leaving should have been a minimum 50% of the electorate : if you want change you have to have a clear majority.
Considering that around 70% of the 37% were old fogeys, that means that around 26% of the electorate who voted leave were old fogeys and only around 11% were under 40 years of age. So, 11% of the electorate
under aged 40 voted to leave.
Just saying .

tavyred

I didn't ask why Ireland was asked to vote twice, I asked why it did so without resorting to the emotive narrative of betrayal which you and others are so eager to employ.
I'm sorry that you think that there are no circumstances in which a decision taken once can never be questioned - on that we ll have to agree to differ
Again, perhaps a bit of investigative work by you is in order to help out with your curiosity as to the Irish situation. It’s a tad strange for you to pose a question then ask others to do the leg work as to the answer. The Brexit decision has been questioned ad infinitum in the 3 1/2 years since the referendum, however the democratic imperative to leave still holds.

IndoMike

Again, perhaps a bit of investigative work by you is in order to help out with your curiosity as to the Irish situation. It’s a tad strange for you to pose a question then ask others to do the leg work as to the answer. The Brexit decision has been questioned ad infinitum in the 3 1/2 years since the referendum, however the democratic imperative to leave still holds.
It's not a democratic imperative. It's a political imperative. To remind you yet again
1. The referendum was advisory, i.e not legally binding.
2. Parliament is the institution of democracy
3. As I have just said : 37% of the electorate voted to leave : far from a majority
4. Cameron considered point 3, but chose not to make it 51% of the electorate. On such whims the future of a nation rested.

Oldsmobile-88

Important to remember that 37% of the electorate voted to leave the EU, whilst of course 63% did not vote to leave.
Since the status quo was to be in the EU you would think a vote of more than 37% would be required to leave.
That argument can be used on any FPTP election.
Most governments since the 1960s have been formed on the minority of the electorate voting for them.
Blair won a election with only 33% of the vote iirc.

28% of the electorate did not bother to vote in the referendum.They could not be arsed to put a cross on the ballot paper for the most important issue since WW2,they should discounted in any spin on figures in reference to the referendum.

IndoMike

That argument can be used on any FPTP election.
Most governments since the 1960s have been formed on the minority of the electorate voting for them.
Blair won a election with only 33% of the vote iirc.

28% of the electorate did not bother to vote in the referendum.They could not be arsed to put a cross on the ballot paper for the most important issue since WW2,they should discounted in any spin on figures in reference to the referendum.
The difference being that an advisory vote should be very convincing in order for the Govt to implement a non-binding vote

Oldsmobile-88

The difference being that an advisory vote should be very convincing in order for the Govt to implement a non-binding vote
I don’t know what you are getting at Mike in relation to my quote ?

Advisory & non binding were not mentioned in the referendum.

iscalad

tavyred

Olds, when your desperate and trying to play down the quite potentially catastrophic effects of Brexit being denied as some are on here are, you by necessity have to start wobbling on about the tired Remoaner tropes like advisory referendums and 37% of the electorate etc.
It’s speaks volumes as to the paucity of their argument.

IndoMike

Referendums by their nature are advisory and non- binding : to be ratified by the relevant parliament. The problem is our parliament couldn't agree to ratify it.
In addition, Cameron initially offered a referendum on the basis of his new negotiations /deal with the EU prior to the referendum, but no such deal appeared. Therefore the referendum was offered on a false pretence.
Finally, I stand by comments above about only 37% of the electorate voting to leave. To make such a drastic change a mere 37% approval rating is insufficient You can't compare with a GE where votes are divided up between many parties, making s 51% vote for any one party impossible . Plus GE's are every 5 years : if we choose a Carp Govt it can be rectified five years later. But the referendum result is to be implemented forever. As a result, there needs to be an overwhelming majority.

Oldsmobile-88

Still can’t remember it mentioned in the Referendum.

I voted remain & would have remembered that detail if it was mentioned as a ‘get out of jail card free’