• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Guess it depends whether he thinks McDonnell or No Deal are the biggest threat to the UK.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that it is probably the second of the two that is the bigger threat.
Sad but probably true

arthur

I was referring to those Tory MP's who aren't yet wedded to No Deal (as a fallback). In other words the Gaukeward squad. If they vote against Boris in a VONC which then triggers a GE, Johnson could then set wheels in motion to have them deselected. If this weren't enough of a deterrent then they could be effectively giving Jeremy Corbyn the keys to number 10 with all that that entails. I just can't see that Phillip Hammond, for one, would relish seeing his work being torn down by John McDonnell in all of about 5 minutes. And all because he doesn't want to see a No Deal scenario which might not happen anyway.
For a supposed independent (bloody) minded observer you seem to swallow an awful lot of Cummings Johnson propaganda. The only way Corbyn is going to be Prime Minister is if he wins a general election which, to my mind, is more than highly unlikely.

And what makes you think No Deal is not going to happen? The Europeans are going to be so impressed by Johnson's cunning plan to change the WA that they'll give him what he wants? Again, more ridiculous fantasy from the Downing Street media briefing room - Johnson has no plan, so there is nowhere for the EU to move to.

No Deal will be stopped by a general election on October 17th. Or it won't be, if Johnson wins. And then he'll be left, all by himself without that nice Mr Cummings, to deal with the fall out over the next few years. That'll be fun to watch...

DB9

Don't know about that DB.

Tone seems to have had a good idea for a change. Any election at the beginning of December will be a disaster for the Tories. If Labour don't vote for an election now, it is Johnson that's cornered, not them.
In my view Corbyn is just unelectable, The Tories will have such a "Hate" campaign towards him, The press loathe him and will make big shouts about past meetings, Attending certain funerals plus the non pressing the nuke button plus as I've said Labour MPs on the campaign trail will be talking him up with gritted teeth

arthur

Good news for the disadvantaged trying to get on the housing ownership ladder perhaps ?
Absolutely. I went to a BBC "news where you are" televised debate in 2017 and we were asked to submit questions. Mine was "Does the panel think house prices are too high" which I thought would have elicited interesting responses from the various party candidates. But they chose questions on Brexit, the NHS and the economy which had all been debated ad nauseam over the airwaves during the previous few weeks and the audience, both there and watching the telly, learned precisely nothing new at all...

IndoMike

The EU is considering classifying NO DEAL as a major disaster requiring a solidarity fund for the worst hit countries.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't believe a word, the leave side tell porkies.
You tell 'em, Elgy. It's the Remoaners who model themselves on Mr. Valiant-for-Truth.

Mr Jinx

And what makes you think No Deal is not going to happen?
I said it "might not happen". Do you disagree with that?

tavyred

BBC reporting that the Remain MP's plan, such as it is, is to force a 3 month Brexit extension. Cabinet are now meeting to discuss the calling of a general election.
Go for it Boris, time to get rid of this 'rotten parliament'.

DB9

BBC reporting that the Remain MP's plan, such as it is, is to force a 3 month Brexit extension. Cabinet are now meeting to discuss the calling of a general election.
If that's the sum of it people will not be happy with kicking the can down the road again, People are fed up and want this sorted, 3 years of inaction when there are so many other things that need sorting

Mr Jinx

Yes, the boil needs lancing and Boris is the man to do it, evidently.

He has nothing to worry about. Call it, run on a No Deal ticket, do a pact with Farage and the job's a goddun. Corbyn knocked into a cocked hat before Chrimbo. Marvellous.