• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
1. The net contribution is around 9BN. What is the net profit :less than 9BN?
2. We already have a Border Agency with very strict and often unfair rules. Regarding illegal immigration, that is not relevant to the EU
3. What are the examples of micromanagement"
4. The illegal French ban was wrong. But are there many examples ?
I think 5 & 6 are the same point.
I guess at least when Parliament and many Conservative members are being bullied by Cummings and Johnson we can say we're not being bullied by the EU.

You've listed some examples that are not very detailed and sometimes speculative. I know you're a serious poster and believe what you say to be true.
I can't see how the UK has been detrimentally affected by being a member of the UK, whether financially, culturally, scientifically or in matters of defense. If I thought that we had to kowtow to the EU and the net disadvantages clearly outweighed the advantages then I would want us to leave, too. I just can't see it. Belonging to the EU is a package deal

geoffwp

Oh how little englander al. Tut tut.

Mr Jinx

And so today begins probably the most interesting week of politics you're ever likely to see (after the last one not even 6 months ago), where, let's face it, absolutely anything can happen.

The more I hear Farage speak, the more I think if Boris were to call a GE shortly, he would do it on a ticket of No Deal whilst doing a pact with Farage. If it's anything other than a No Deal, Farage will not be doing a pact; he's made that pretty clear. I'm therefore thinking we'll see No Deal sometime before the year's out.

Boris would use that as an opportunity to clear out the Remainer quislings in his own party by deselection or otherwise, which will hopefully include that Euroloon lickspittle Bercow.

geoffwp

Oh what a completely shyte little country you describe.

elginCity

Al, it appears you've spent the weekend dusting off your back catalogue of Daily Mailgraph propaganda, desperately trying to find a benefit to leaving with no deal, so thanks for that ! Though your anti-EU tirade full of well worn emotive buzzwords didn't include one 'shackled', not even one, which is a tad disappointing.. 😂

Always amazes me how the Brexiters have really bought into the belief that the EU is some distinct and separate huge anti-UK monster organisation. Even dear old Rae "hates" the EU. The whole EU budget, comprising 28 nations, is on a par with what the UK spends on the NHS, and is dwarfed by what it spends on welfare. There are something like 60,000 EU civil servants, compared to 300,000+ in the UK alone ! The EU is greater than the sum of its parts, but the UK has been a huge and instrumental part in its success (and failures) throughout. The 27 other member states, both net contributors and 'bullied' beneficiaries, don't appear to be following the UK, as it FREELY flounces out the door. That fact alone speaks volumes.

Last edited:

elginCity

I can't see how the UK has been detrimentally affected by being a member of the EU, whether financially, culturally, scientifically or in matters of defence.
You can't see what isn't there ? Change your reading material !!

Bittners a Legend

And so today begins probably the most interesting week of politics you're ever likely to see (after the last one not even 6 months ago), where, let's face it, absolutely anything can happen.

The more I hear Farage speak, the more I think if Boris were to call a GE shortly, he would do it on a ticket of No Deal whilst doing a pact with Farage. If it's anything other than a No Deal, Farage will not be doing a pact; he's made that pretty clear. I'm therefore thinking we'll see No Deal sometime before the year's out.

Boris would use that as an opportunity to clear out the Remainer quislings in his own party by deselection or otherwise, which will hopefully include that Euroloon lickspittle Bercow.
"Quislings". "Lickspittle". "Euroloon". What a nasty, intolerant and immature country we have become. All you really meant were people that you disagree with.

By the way Tavy, what Britain did was remarkable in 1940. That you think we did in alone shows your lack of knowledge on the subject. You've already been called out on the Poles and others who were part of the Battle of Britain. What hasn't been mentioned is the mainland resistance movements that provided intelligence and disrupted supply chains. As with many other nations, Britain's contribution to victory in WW2 was outstanding. It bears no relevance to today, other than reinforcing the importance of peace and why a hard border in Ireland is so wrong.

Bittners a Legend

Always amazes me how the Brexiters have really bought into the belief that the EU is some distinct and separate huge anti-UK monster organisation. Even dear old Rae "hates" the EU. The whole EU budget, comprising 28 nations, is on a par with what the UK spends on the NHS, and is dwarfed by what it spends on welfare. There are something like 60,000 EU civil servants, compared to 300,000+ in the UK alone ! The EU is greater than the sum of its parts, but the UK has been a huge and instrumental part in its success (and failures) throughout. The 27 other member states, both net contributors and 'bullied' beneficiaries, don't appear to be following the UK, as it FREELY flounces out the door. That fact alone speaks volumes.
I'm with you on this, Elgy. I have never completely got the outrage over us being net contributors. Our tax returns alone show how little, in reality, the UK spends on the EU.

What I find most confusing is the simplicity of the analysis, which I suppose sums up the UK's attitude to Europe as us, and them. An In/Out cash comparison does nothing to understand the social and cultural benefits, nor the value of a prosperous, peaceful and secure Europe. We expect a Utopia from Europe and the EU that we don't expect from anywhere else. If Boris Johnson wastes £100m on a PR campaign, that is considered OK but if the EU were to do the same with "our" money it would be met with unbridled fury. Our collective natural instinct appears to be suspicion, anger, scorn, bitterness.

Alistair20000

Al, it appears you've spent the weekend dusting off your back catalogue of Daily Mailgraph propaganda, desperately trying to find a benefit to leaving with no deal, so thanks for that ! Though your anti-EU tirade full of well worn emotive buzzwords didn't include one 'shackled', not even one, which is a tad disappointing.. 😂

Carry on seeing the EU through your rose tinted specs Elgy........if it makes you happy.

:)

BTW: my weekend (and weekday) reading does not take in the Mail but does include the Observer.

tavyred

By the way Tavy, what Britain did was remarkable in 1940. That you think we did in alone shows your lack of knowledge on the subject. You've already been called out on the Poles and others who were part of the Battle of Britain. What hasn't been mentioned is the mainland resistance movements that provided intelligence and disrupted supply chains. As with many other nations, Britain's contribution to victory in WW2 was outstanding. It bears no relevance to today, other than reinforcing the importance of peace and why a hard border in Ireland is so wrong.
Again, this desperation to put caveats on Britain's 'finest hour' is laughable. The whole period in the summer of 1940 has long been described as the "we stood alone" era and to drag up (as indomike did) the wonderfully laudable efforts of foreign pilots and now resistance fighters apparently as an example of Britain's inability to do anything on it own is again laughable, although not unsurprising in this Brexit era when there is political capital in portraying Britain as a little bit shit and unable to function outside of the EU's orbit.

Last edited: