• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Players we let go....

Redarrow

Hi all, just read an article in the echo regarding Jamie Reid down at Torquay, it seems Luton town are potentially looking to take him to the championship after scoring 29 last season and already netting 14 this season,

This article got me thinking about how many players we have let go (whether not good enough/plagued with injury’s) that have then gone on to higher and better things in the game??

If Jamie Reid does go then it again will mean our academy has produced another championship player.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't think of any that we've released that went on to better things. I think Frear played in the SPL but that's probably a similar standard to L1/L2.

We stuck by Reid for a number of years. He had the crippling pelvic injury which took away the best part of 2 seasons and eventually his time ran out with us and he was released, rightly so in my opinion. I doubt he'll play at Championship level. The bottom line is he's just not quite good enough.

Redarrow

An obvious one for me is James Norwood, not good enough at the time but has proved to be good enough over the years with hard work, also the club has to suit the player to be able to fulfil their potential,

Must be more players we deemed not good enough......

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Frear is now at FGR.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think it's as plain and simple as letting them go, as in Jamie Reid's case we stood by him for some time and for one reason or another he didn't show the potential we had hoped for and again it is only under Johnson that he has flourished at Torquay, likewise James Norwood signed with potential but I believe had a bit of an attitude problem at the time and was then again let go, could have been a disruptive element in the squad, you don't know.

On the other hand we have Matt Jay who most people love, but hasn't quite made it despite him fast approaching the grand old age of 24, be interesting to see what he does when his contract is up.

We then have JMT and Christy Pym who are playing and have potential to play at a higher level which left the club upon reaching 24 in the hope of finding something better, sometimes, we as a club, have no control on 'letting' players go.

And if you are holding out as a success players in the non league their was Ryan Blunt who we stuck with for a season of injury only t let go and is currently top scorer for Bath

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although never deemed as "not good enough" one player who's departure leaves me regretful was Jack Stacey.

What might have been...

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although never deemed as "not good enough" one player who's departure leaves me regretful was Jack Stacey.

What might have been...
But it wasn't, as he was going to sign for us when Luton came in, which is the problem with loan signings who you help to develop and then get nothing for at the end of the term

Grecian_Matt

Craig Noone...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
But it wasn't, as he was going to sign for us when Luton came in, which is the problem with loan signings who you help to develop and then get nothing for at the end of the term
We certainly got our money's worth out of him as far as a loan deal went mind.

As with Noone.

Grecian_Matt

Craig Noone... Although not our player, didn't we have the opportunity to buy him for peanuts.

Jack Stacey was another one, didn't he want to stay but Tisdale decided the money was better spent elsewhere? (Pierce Sweeney)