• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty!

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not Sweeney. Maybe it's coincidence, but he seemed drained of all confidence after that penalty miss - not just for that match, but the fifteen following. Whoever takes penalties needs the mental strength to keep going after they miss one. Fair play to Forte, he did exactly that on Saturday.
You seem to be forgetting that after his first miss from the spot, he scored with his second penalty in the same game !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
You seem to be forgetting that after his first miss from the spot, he scored with his second penalty in the same game !
It was the other way round - the miss was for the hat-trick.

Red Devon

I’d go back to Sweeney he scored some very good pens before his couple of misses he strikes a dead ball very cleanly and powerful..technically Fortes effort on Saturday was very poor you can easily see how he got underneath it too much, his run up was all wrong for the way he struck the ball.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps we could get the League to change the rules and have penalty taking duties as a supplementary prize in the 50/50.
Alternatively, what's Barry McConnell up to these days? Perhaps we could have him on the bench, ready to be brought on especially for penalty taking duties.

Stelios

Pick your spot. Whack it.

Or, watch the keeper. Roll it to the opposite side if he moves. Easy ;)

Le God

Le God, again

Stelios

A nice simple distillation of all of the above.

Positive mental attitude. Alan Shearer said the same. It's the best possible chance you'll get in any game to score. Embrace it.

Keep it simple.

[video=youtube;kms07Bv2FRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kms07Bv2FRY[/video]

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was always a fan of Reuben Reid’s method. Hit it really really hard.

StroudGrecian

I think it was Reuben Reid who said, having converted a last-minute winning penalty a couple of seasons back, that he was happy to take penalties because he knew he could handle it if he missed.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I had someone try that method to me in goal once - hit it hard and high, straight down the middle.

I stood there and tipped it over the bar.

Ian's method is probably closest to being "correct", although of course that relies on you being able to put the ball exactly where you want to, and to ignore the outside pressures involved in taking a penalty.

Gordon Dale

Forte was unlucky ..however the 'miss' will probably dent his confidence.

Why not give the responsibility to Archie Collins ? ...his maturity shines through...as did in the penalty shoot out against Ipswich.