• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's a professional footballer, the easiest way to score for a striker should be with a penalty.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly you guys have never taken a penalty, you make it sound so easy.
Indeed, I think some people live life in slow motion replay mode.

I speak as someone who has a 100% record from the spot, although the last one was touch and go as I fluffed it so badly the keeper, having dived the wrong way, almost had time to get back up and save it!

Tim Long

Perhaps we could get the League to change the rules and have penalty taking duties as a supplementary prize in the 50/50.

IndoMike

Agreed. By the time he struck the ball the keeper was already the other side of the goal. All he had to do was roll it in.
Precisely....

grecIAN Harris

It is. Pick the side of your kicking foot, my right for me. Aim just inside the post, hit with enough pace (you don't need to blast it, a good solid side foot should be enough) and keep it low. That way you're bending around the dive of the keeper and inside of the post. I always found going the other way meant you were in danger of getting the ball within the keepers reach to make sure you got it inside the post and if he did get a touch he wouldn't need as much to divert it around the post as the ball would be curving away

IndoMike

The penalty was not invented yesterday, Proper. He's a professional footballer ; he had the keeper at his mercy but belted the ball instead of placing it. Yes, anybody can make a bad miss, and he did. That's a FACT

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

It is. Pick the side of your kicking foot, my right for me. Aim just inside the post, hit with enough pace (you don't need to blast it, a good solid side foot should be enough) and keep it low. That way you're bending around the dive of the keeper and inside of the post. I always found going the other way meant you were in danger of getting the ball within the keepers reach to make sure you got it inside the post and if he did get a touch he wouldn't need as much to divert it around the post as the ball would be curving away
Oh, and don't change your mind. That's a sure fire way to miss.

Temporarily Exiled

Not Sweeney. Maybe it's coincidence, but he seemed drained of all confidence after that penalty miss - not just for that match, but the fifteen following. Whoever takes penalties needs the mental strength to keep going after they miss one. Fair play to Forte, he did exactly that on Saturday.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh, and don't change your mind. That's a sure fire way to miss.
Unless you’re Matt Le Tissier. Saw a video he did on penalty taking and he said he’d often change his mind just as he was about to hit the ball if he saw the ‘keeper begin to dive the way he was planning to go.

But yes, agree that the vast majority of players should pick a spot and stick to it.