Penalty!

Colesman Ballz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not Sweeney. Maybe it's coincidence, but he seemed drained of all confidence after that penalty miss - not just for that match, but the fifteen following. Whoever takes penalties needs the mental strength to keep going after they miss one. Fair play to Forte, he did exactly that on Saturday.
You seem to be forgetting that after his first miss from the spot, he scored with his second penalty in the same game !

Red Devon

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’d go back to Sweeney he scored some very good pens before his couple of misses he strikes a dead ball very cleanly and powerful..technically Fortes effort on Saturday was very poor you can easily see how he got underneath it too much, his run up was all wrong for the way he struck the ball.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps we could get the League to change the rules and have penalty taking duties as a supplementary prize in the 50/50.
Alternatively, what's Barry McConnell up to these days? Perhaps we could have him on the bench, ready to be brought on especially for penalty taking duties.

Stelios

A nice simple distillation of all of the above.

Positive mental attitude. Alan Shearer said the same. It's the best possible chance you'll get in any game to score. Embrace it.

Keep it simple.

[video=youtube;kms07Bv2FRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kms07Bv2FRY[/video]

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Was always a fan of Reuben Reid’s method. Hit it really really hard.
I had someone try that method to me in goal once - hit it hard and high, straight down the middle.

I stood there and tipped it over the bar.

Ian's method is probably closest to being "correct", although of course that relies on you being able to put the ball exactly where you want to, and to ignore the outside pressures involved in taking a penalty.

Gordon Dale

Forte was unlucky ..however the 'miss' will probably dent his confidence.

Why not give the responsibility to Archie Collins ? ...his maturity shines through...as did in the penalty shoot out against Ipswich.

Hants_red

exeweb.com admin, Esq.
Staff member
Ian's method is probably closest to being "correct", although of course that relies on you being able to put the ball exactly where you want to, and to ignore the outside pressures involved in taking a penalty.
What do you do though when you get a second penalty im a game? I think this was the problem for Sweeney, he changed what he normally did and the penalty was saved.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
You run up slowly. If the keeper moves in either direction you should have enough skill to put it in the other direction. If he doesn't move at all you hit it hard and low to the side that best suits you. Simples.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What do you do though when you get a second penalty im a game? I think this was the problem for Sweeney, he changed what he normally did and the penalty was saved.
Either have faith that your method is correct or give it to someone else.

I appreciate when you're 5-1 up (I think we already were?) and have two goals to your name the latter is unlikely to happen!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I reckon the problem with Sweeney’s second penalty was it was for a hat trick. Probably the first of his career and unlikely to ever happen again. Had that second penalty been for his second goal of the game I reckon he’d have tucked it away nicely.

edwin_price

The "always do the same thing for a penalty and stick to it" method is great if you're playing in the village league and no-one knows who you are, but if you're a regular penalty taker for a league club, you can't do the same thing every single time, because people watch videos of you.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I reckon the problem with Sweeney’s second penalty was it was for a hat trick. Probably the first of his career and unlikely to ever happen again. Had that second penalty been for his second goal of the game I reckon he’d have tucked it away nicely.
Tend to agree, though I'd suggest it wasn't just that it was a hat-trick but that it was also his second penalty of the game; that being the case, he was thinking far more than he might otherwise have done about what he should do.

Red Devon

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tend to agree, though I'd suggest it wasn't just that it was a hat-trick but that it was also his second penalty of the game; that being the case, he was thinking far more than he might otherwise have done about what he should do.
It wasn’t a pressure pen though weren’t we 4:1 up at the time with a real swagger to our play that day...occasionally penalties are missed, apart from probably Collins I don’t think anyone strikes a dead ball better than Sweeney.