• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will be interesting if he plays on Friday..... if he is not in the squad, could presume that a move is imminent....

i'm all in favour of a reasonable profit, but deals that llb bragged about trying to convince us what a shining fairly minded club they are yeah right , the lower lgs have it hard enuf without the likes of him, and his club going around ripping hard up clubs offF for EG Hogan bought for £750,000 from presumably skint rochdale sold 33 YES 33 games later, for £15 million to villa no less, That aint being developed, thats pure market exploitation, and no mention of sell on clauses. LLB was a deluded gob s&&&& him and his club go around spouting crap,purely in the hope of ripping poorer clubs off and mug fans swallowing his bull by veiwing it through values we operate with, but are ignored by the 'business plans' like brentford have. bit like why warbuton left but thats another tale. and then are surprised when someone calls him out,,,, the other deals he mentioned Gray bought 350,000 sold 9.5 million after 40 ish games Tarkowski bought 250,000 sold £6 million are explotative gaining that much profit for doing virtually nish and again no mention of sell on clauses its doing no one, well only brentford, any favours.
I agree 'development' deserves reward, wheeler as you site, was a student when we took him on just left uni and playing part time b4 us and we've taken 3 seasons to get where he is today, THATS development and that deserves reward what brentford are doing deserves nothing less than derision and tbh i dont wish them well. if you do than maybe mate with the best will in the world its time perhaps you re-evaluated
Yet if it was City doing all this you wouldn't shut up about how great Tisdale is at developing players and selling them on.

Very strange post.

Grecian2K

Oh please don't wind up Bondy, FG.

We should all know by now that he is safer shaken rather than stirred.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yet if it was City doing all this you wouldn't shut up about how great Tisdale is at developing players and selling them on.

Very strange post.
not nearly as stange as yours, your predicting how i think please enlighten me how you worked that one out.

ECFC Music

i'm all in favour of a reasonable profit, but deals that llb bragged about trying to convince us what a shining fairly minded club they are yeah right , the lower lgs have it hard enuf without the likes of him, and his club going around ripping hard up clubs offF for EG Hogan bought for £750,000 from presumably skint rochdale sold 33 YES 33 games later, for £15 million to villa no less, That aint being developed, thats pure market exploitation, and no mention of sell on clauses. LLB was a deluded gob s&&&& him and his club go around spouting crap,purely in the hope of ripping poorer clubs off and mug fans swallowing his bull by veiwing it through values we operate with, but are ignored by the 'business plans' like brentford have. bit like why warbuton left but thats another tale. and then are surprised when someone calls him out,,,, the other deals he mentioned Gray bought 350,000 sold 9.5 million after 40 ish games Tarkowski bought 250,000 sold £6 million are explotative gaining that much profit for doing virtually nish and again no mention of sell on clauses its doing no one, well only brentford, any favours.
I agree 'development' deserves reward, wheeler as you site, was a student when we took him on just left uni and playing part time b4 us and we've taken 3 seasons to get where he is today, THATS development and that deserves reward what brentford are doing deserves nothing less than derision and tbh i dont wish them well. if you do than maybe mate with the best will in the world its time perhaps you re-evaluated
I don't get the' ripping' off point you make. Nothing wrong in buying a player at a price both clubs agree on, given an even playing field and not the young player poaching by Premier clubs,and then making him an even more saleable asset. Isn't that what every club would do given the chance and doesn't it reflect favourably on their scouting nous. If the player was worth more there would surely be plenty of other clubs prepared to cough up the dough if they considered it would enhance their prospects.

angelic upstart

In the interests of fairness, Brentford paid all the clubs large sums (Rochdale was 4 million) in sell on clauses in all the examples mentioned.

Although in Tarkowski's case Oldham took the money early and missed out on the rest.

Last edited:

Long Lost Bee

To answer your points if I may. I wasn't bragging and if I came over patronising I Sincerely apologise. The facts are like your club we knocked around the lower leagues for many years, nearly went bust and we only kept going with fans buying majority shares and bucket collections etc.
Currently we are not that much bigger club than yourselves in terms of ground size and support. We are lucky to be playing in the Championship with some very big hitters. Premier League teams come down with massive parachute payments which we just can't afford to compete with them in the open market for buying or paying players or many other established clubs here. So, we have a different operating model than them. Yes, we pay as little as possible. But that little is agreed by the selling club and us. The bonus for the selling club and ourselves is that if the player develops( and a few haven't) we can sell on for a good profit. It's the ONLY way we can survive in the Championship. I'll cover Hogan if I may. Yep we payed Rochdale £350,000 for him, no rip off. In fact Rochdale stated they were impressed the way Brentford went about their business ( as have all the clubs we have dealt with ). The reason Hogan only played 33 games was due the fact that most of his time with us he was injured with severed cruciate ligaments. After his first operation he came back and within a few games and did it again. Was out for another season, during which time the club extended his contract still not knowing whether he'd be OK. He game back eventually and went on a goal scoring spree which ended up with Villa paying the price the club valued him at. Rochdale received around 20% of that fee. So not a bad deal for Rochdale and hardly ripping anyone off. I could go on but suffice to say all the players sold on have brought into around 20% sell on fee to the club we have bought from, again we are hardly ripping anyone off. In fact as far as I know when Gray is sold Luton are still entitlied to a further cut of that fee. Tarkowski went on strike and refused to play for us wanted to go to Burnley. We asked and received £6M , what would you have wanted Exeter to do in the same circumstances??
As for Warburton, don't believe what you read in the press. I won't go there have a look at the GPG site. Back to Watkins. When/ if he signs for us, we will pay a price agreed by your club and ours. Whether you like that figure or me is irrelevant, but it won't be the figure you quoted for a player who's got one year left on his contract. We have a similar situation with Jota here. But as I stated posts ago. Exeter will get a very good sell on fee plus a further fee ( maybe) if he's sold again. I doubt very much if any other club will deal with his transfer as well as Brentford. I hope he signs for us. Cheers sorry for the ramble. Finally if you really want to know how we operate read the Bleacher report on Brentford. It's a model more clubs will be following. Take care and have a good season all.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
To answer your points if I may. I wasn't bragging and if I came over patronising I Sincerely apologise. The facts are like your club we knocked around the lower leagues for many years, nearly went bust and we only kept going with fans buying majority shares and bucket collections etc.
Currently we are not that much bigger club than yourselves in terms of ground size and support. We are lucky to be playing in the Championship with some very big hitters. Premier League teams come down with massive parachute payments which we just can't afford to compete with them in the open market for buying or paying players or many other established clubs here. So, we have a different operating model than them. Yes, we pay as little as possible. But that little is agreed by the selling club and us. The bonus for the selling club and ourselves is that if the player develops( and a few haven't) we can sell on for a good profit. It's the ONLY way we can survive in the Championship. I'll cover Hogan if I may. Yep we payed Rochdale £350,000 for him, no rip off. In fact Rochdale stated they were impressed the way Brentford went about their business ( as have all the clubs we have dealt with ). The reason Hogan only played 33 games was due the fact that most of his time with us he was injured with severed cruciate ligaments. After his first operation he came back and within a few games and did it again. Was out for another season, during which time the club extended his contract still not knowing whether he'd be OK. He game back eventually and went on a goal scoring spree which ended up with Villa paying the price the club valued him at. Rochdale received around 20% of that fee. So not a bad deal for Rochdale and hardly ripping anyone off. I could go on but suffice to say all the players sold on have brought into around 20% sell on fee to the club we have bought from, again we are hardly ripping anyone off. In fact as far as I know when Gray is sold Luton are still entitlied to a further cut of that fee. Tarkowski went on strike and refused to play for us wanted to go to Burnley. We asked and received £6M , what would you have wanted Exeter to do in the same circumstances??
As for Warburton, don't believe what you read in the press. I won't go there have a look at the GPG site. Back to Watkins. When/ if he signs for us, we will pay a price agreed by your club and ours. Whether you like that figure or me is irrelevant, but it won't be the figure you quoted for a player who's got one year left on his contract. We have a similar situation with Jota here. But as I stated posts ago. Exeter will get a very good sell on fee plus a further fee ( maybe) if he's sold again. I doubt very much if any other club will deal with his transfer as well as Brentford. I hope he signs for us. Cheers sorry for the ramble. Finally if you really want to know how we operate read the Bleacher report on Brentford. It's a model more clubs will be following. Take care and have a good season all.

Wouldn't worry about apologising. Don't see a problem buying players and selling at a profit. Good way to make money if you can pick the right players. No one is likely to pay more than they have to. At the end of the day we will have a figure we want and have to decide when it's best to sell. We could sell too early, get it just right or wait too long.

Well-known Exeweb poster
you may think your 'business plan ' is the way forward, but imo its completely the opposite, it's short term and particularly unhealthy for football ie relying on smaller clubs to invest where your club cant be bothered and then cashing in on their hard work and paying them a minimal amount, when really all the hard works been done for you. in a odd sort of way bit similar IN PRINCIPLE of businesses going to a third world country and buying goods produced by giving peanut wages. but hey whatever floats your boat.

Long Lost Bee

you may think your 'business plan ' is the way forward, but imo its completely the opposite, it's short term and particularly unhealthy for football ie relying on smaller clubs to invest where your club cant be bothered and then cashing in on their hard work and paying them a minimal amount, when really all the hard works been done for you. in a odd sort of way bit similar IN PRINCIPLE of businesses going to a third world country and buying goods produced by giving peanut wages. but hey whatever floats your boat.
Nice talking to you. You've obviously missed the logic somewhere, especially about hard work. Never mind, have a good season. (LLL)(LLL)