• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oldham Athletic v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Please tell me there's a video of Craig Woodman leaping out of the dugout and giving a full massive jubilant celebration of our winning goal, before spotting the flag being raised for offside. :D:D:D:D

robchave

It's something I felt last season but I'm pretty sure of so far this. I expect that we probably have (one of) the lowest (?) number of attempts on goal of all the teams in the top half. This resulted last year in us only just having a positive goal difference. I expect that the teams that do best have the most attempts on goal and higher goal differences.
You're not going to get many deflected goals, or scores from the rebound, if you don't take the shot in the first place!

robchave

It's something I felt last season but I'm pretty sure of so far this. I expect that we probably have (one of) the lowest (?) number of attempts on goal of all the teams in the top half. This resulted last year in us only just having a positive goal difference. I expect that the teams that do best have the most attempts on goal and higher goal differences.
You're not going to get many deflected goals, or scores from the rebound, if you don't take the shot in the first place!
Just checked. In our first four games, we've had 43 attempts on goal. Crewe have had 63. Hmmmm.

benjisheps

Just checked. In our first four games, we've had 43 attempts on goal. Crewe have had 63. Hmmmm.
And yet we have a better goal difference than Crewe! ;)

The first 3 games I would agree that we did not create enough, but last night I thought we played well and created more than enough chances to win the game.

First Half:
L.Martin should have scored, and Bowman also had a decent chance.

Second Half:
Matt Jay misses an absolute sitter, L.Martin has another effort that just goes wide, Nicky Law has a shot that just goes wide, Jake Taylor has a one on one saved well by the GK and we have a goal disallowed. Incidentally their GK also got MOM.

We could quite easily of won 3-0 last night and we would all be raving about the performance.

Obviously we need to start scoring more, but last night was a positive and I liked the shape of the team.
Credit to MT as it was also a very young side that he put out.

Hopefully we can kick on this Saturday and take our chances and get the 3 points.

With players like Parkes, Holmes, and Antangana to also come back into the squad I think we have real depth this year which we haven't had in a while.

robchave

And yet we have a better goal difference than Crewe! ;)

The first 3 games I would agree that we did not create enough, but last night I thought we played well and created more than enough chances to win the game.

First Half:
L.Martin should have scored, and Bowman also had a decent chance.

Second Half:
Matt Jay misses an absolute sitter, L.Martin has another effort that just goes wide, Nicky Law has a shot that just goes wide, Jake Taylor has a one on one saved well by the GK and we have a goal disallowed. Incidentally their GK also got MOM.

We could quite easily of won 3-0 last night and we would all be raving about the performance.

Obviously we need to start scoring more, but last night was a positive and I liked the shape of the team.
Credit to MT as it was also a very young side that he put out.

Hopefully we can kick on this Saturday and take our chances and get the 3 points.

With players like Parkes, Holmes, and Antangana to also come back into the squad I think we have real depth this year which we haven't had in a while.
Yes, I thought we played better on Tuesday and likewise I applaud MT for his team selection. However, this is L2 and our attackers are not as clinical as in higher divisions. Therefore, we need more attempts to score. On Tues, with all our dominance, we still only had 13 attempts on goal.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indomike Re: the offside incident: "It didnt look offside to me"

Mike, Since the young lady (and her flag) are totally out of the picture when that original cross came over, I dont think we'll ever know for sure. As our two forwards appeared, bearing down on goal, it looks a safe assumption that one or both were offside. The young lady had a good game out there as far as can be told, so I dont see much reason to doubt her. iFollow patrons only will have seen nearly every member of the City team surrounding her, and niggling at her as she and the other officials tried to walk off. A bit unnecessary I thought since the incident was history by then.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Indomike Re: the offside incident: "It didnt look offside to me"

Mike, Since the young lady (and her flag) are totally out of the picture when that original cross came over, I dont think we'll ever know for sure. As our two forwards appeared, bearing down on goal, it looks a safe assumption that one or both were offside. The young lady had a good game out there as far as can be told, so I dont see much reason to doubt her. iFollow patrons only will have seen nearly every member of the City team surrounding her, and niggling at her as she and the other officials tried to walk off. A bit unnecessary I thought since the incident was history by then.
I agree that I am probably biased in favour of City, but I thought that there was at least their goalie and one defender, if not two, between goalscorer and goal. It is difficult for the linesperson to judge when perhaps defenders are moving out and forwards are moving in in a confined area. It's a case where VAR could have sorted it out.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that I am probably biased in favour of City, but I thought that there was at least their goalie and one defender, if not two, between goalscorer and goal. It is difficult for the linesperson to judge when perhaps defenders are moving out and forwards are moving in in a confined area. It's a case where VAR could have sorted it out.
Yes, there were probably two defenders between Jake and the goal when he scored but the key moment is when the ball comes off Ryan at which point it seems, to me at least, pretty clear-cut from the footage that Jake is offside. Nothing for VAR to sort out as the assistant referee got the decision right.

IndoMike

Yes, there were probably two defenders between Jake and the goal when he scored but the key moment is when the ball comes off Ryan at which point it seems, to me at least, pretty clear-cut from the footage that Jake is offside. Nothing for VAR to sort out as the assistant referee got the decision right.
From the video it's impossible to be sure, therefore from our perspective VAR is necessary. The assistant may be correct, but the video isn't clear. Linespersons have been known to make mistakes at times. It is difficult for them when they have to be looking in two directions at the same split second moment/

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Ok, not sure if this will work but this should be the freeze-frame of the moment when Ryan heads the ball and Jake is clearly off-side. As others have said Ryan should have scored with his free header, although whether Jake would have been judged to have been interfering with play is a whole other kettle of fish. Yes, the officials occasionally make mistakes but I would prefer that to the mess which is VAR - the referees also seem to have done a pretty good job so far this season and I can't remember too many glaring errors.