• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Exeter 0 Port Vale 1. Saturday 17th September 1966. City finish the day in 16th. Report from the E&E.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I haven’t seen this photo before.The pre season friendly in July 1996 against Chelsea..Won 2-1 infront of 10,500.8E540E91-C626-47A7-BED8-FAEED8BA2779.jpeg

Colesman Ballz

I haven’t seen this photo before.The pre season friendly in July 1996 against Chelsea..Won 2-1 infront of 10,500.View attachment 1761
Was that the game that (1) Vialli, who had just signed for Chelski didn't appear in, and (2) the young "Whimple Whippet" was playing as a striker for City and scored and as a result briefly attracted interest from our visitors ??

Oldsmobile-88

Was that the game that (1) Vialli, who had just signed for Chelski didn't appear in, and (2) the young "Whimple Whippet" was playing as a striker for City and scored and as a result briefly attracted interest from our visitors ??
Yes..That’s the game.A great night even though it was only a friendly.
Some Chelsea fans wanted The Grecians to have all of the gate money from the crowd,but Ken Bates was Chairman/owner so that was never going to happen.

Oldsmobile-88

Looking back a few years ago we had quite a few decent pre season games against 1st Division sides & then Premier League teams.
Spurs came down a few times,Chelsea a couple of times,Leeds,Newcastle to name a few.
Of course none would be interested now or if they did it would be a reserve side.

Oldsmobile-88

A list of teams featured on the BBCs Match Of The Day from 1964-92.

Interesting the Grecians featured 4 times.
The FAC game in 1969 against MU & a 3rd Division game against Charlton in 1981 (a) are the two I can think of.

Any idea what the other two were ?

I can only think it was the Leicester & Newcastle games which were broadcasted on the Wednesday night of Sportsnight..(Originally called Sportsnight with Coleman)
6203A702-DA1F-488A-A940-4E176A93DB8C.jpeg

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

The FAC game in 1969 against MU & a 3rd Division game against Charlton in 1981 (a) are the two I can think of.

I can only think it was the Leicester & Newcastle games which were broadcasted on the Wednesday night of Sportsnight..(Originally called Sportsnight with Coleman)
View attachment 1783
Norwich in the FA Cup in January 1990. Bleddy Fleck 🙄.

Oldsmobile-88

Norwich in the FA Cup in January 1990. Bleddy Fleck 🙄.
Good shout...Just remembered Villa in 1994.

That’s the four then.

iscalad

View attachment 1783
Maybe the cup matches were on ITV
Didn't LWT issue an apology for the Spurs highlights.

Oldsmobile-88

Maybe the cup matches were on ITV
Didn't LWT issue an apology for the Spurs highlights.
The Leicester & Newcastle(replays)games were definitely on BBC.
Spurs game was on ITV(LWT)
In those days the broadcasters did not have exclusive TV rights to the FAC..

Very poorly edited highlights of the Spurs game did result in a on air apology by Brian Moore on the next edition of the Big Match.