Nigel Atangana Signs

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gary Johnson called him the League 2's answer to Paul Pogba. That could go one of two ways. Either he's a really strong, powerful, creative player who is also capable of putting himself about or he's a sulky French tosser who thinks he's better than what he is. I suppose we'll find out in time.

Stelios

Bienvenue Nigel (y)

He goes out of his way on the club video interview to say he is NOT like Paul Pogba! Comes across very well. He was very impressive in the 1st half at SJP for Cheltenham last season. The achilles injury is obviously a huge red flag next to his name.

Definitely gives us something a bit 'extra' in the middle that I feel we've been lacking. This probably means a greater likelihood of Boateng going I suppose.

grecIAN Harris

I know Wikipedia isn't exactly the greatest source of information but from what I can glean from there and what he has said about himself in the first interview he's here to push Jake Taylor. He made his debut for Pompey against us and replaced Dunney there when he got injured. Goals aren't exactly something he is full of (11 in 253 appearances and half of them whilst playing for Havant and Waterlooville in Conference South in one season).

The Proper Chap

We could see Collins playing further forward next season imho.

Atangana should give us some physicality in midfield, he's well over six foot and looks quite athletic.

Looks like a promising signing.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Solid signing and adds some physicality to the midfield which we generally lack.

Bit of suspect injury record, but Cheltenham fans seems to like him so that’s good.

It’s very refreshing to get some early business done and hopefully one or two more to come in relatively soon....

Temporarily Exiled

From what I've read he's a good player, but has never managed to stay fit for a full campaign. Worth noting that Tillson was brought in by Cheltenham as a replacement when Atangana picked up an injury this season, so that gives an indication of where he'll play - may also mean there's more chance of Tillson's loan move being made permanent.

IndoMike

If he can give us 25 games plus next season you'd hope he'd be a useful addition. As has been said, if he's mobile and strong it will allow players like Law, Collins and Taylor to get further forward. He's what we need, but can he stay fit?

grecIAN Harris

If he can give us 25 games plus next season you'd hope he'd be a useful addition. As has been said, if he's mobile and strong it will allow players like Law, Collins and Taylor to get further forward. He's what we need, but can he stay fit?
Again I'm only picking up on snippets from here and there but reading the Cheltenham forum, that will be the bigger issue. Before he had this big injury he has now recovered from it seems he was struggling to put more than five or six games together before suffering with a niggly injury. But whilst he was playing it seems he would be first choice on most supporters team sheet.

SEA Grecian

That's if Collins is still here next season. I haven't seen the possibility discussed much but, given our track record of developing players, it wouldn't surprise me if a bigger club tried to snap him up now for a relative bargain.

IndoMike

Again I'm only picking up on snippets from here and there but reading the Cheltenham forum, that will be the bigger issue. Before he had this big injury he has now recovered from it seems he was struggling to put more than five or six games together before suffering with a niggly injury. But whilst he was playing it seems he would be first choice on most supporters team sheet.
Yep, from the little we know in theory it seems a good signing. I like the idea he is a big bloke, too. All our midfielders are relatively small - it's good to have a balance, useful at corners at both ends, and a presence.

Andy Holloway

Atangana should give us some physicality in midfield, he's well over six foot and looks quite athletic.

Looks like a promising signing.
So you say, but if you don't mind i'll wait for official confirmation from our North american correspondent!

Hants_red

exeweb.com admin, Esq.
Staff member
So what would our midfield be, almost certainly Jake will be in there?