• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That’s what happens when you have 5 loan players in your starting 11
A fact rather over-looked by many of the Swindon fans I’ve encountered on social media who seemed keen to tell everyone how great their team was. Promotion is looking a less certain now.

jrg333

Ajose was making good runs between their defenders last night. Unfortunately our players with the ball either did not spot or weren't looking for his sprints forward. If Matt Taylor can get them more alert for his runs and work on how Ajose can form a partnership with Bowman, we should have a very productive forward line.
Maybe King Matty needs to take a leaf out of Fergie's book?

Interesting interview here with Rio Ferdinand and van Persie:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
That’s what happens when you have 5 loan players in your starting 11
Well that sort of thing happens when you try to turn your club song into a business plan.
Just ask Yeovil!

grecIAN Harris

He doesn't have the energy & drive of Lee Martin - but I think that he will soon replace Martin as a regular starter up front alongside Bowman.
...... but he knows where the back of the net is, a far more valuable commodity than bundles of energy. His goal on the radio sounded like everything that we don't have with Martin up front, somebody just being in the right place at the right time to bury the bits and pieces in the box.

AB Ciren

A fact rather over-looked by many of the Swindon fans I’ve encountered on social media who seemed keen to tell everyone how great their team was. Promotion is looking a less certain now.
They tend to bury the heads in the sand over this not to different to Yeovil when the got promoted and look where they are now!,

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Presumably part of the reason was to counter the inevitable physical challenge of Stevenage.
I never get this strategy... Its surely better to match your attackers to defenders weaknesses, not their strengths. If you're up against big slow cloggers, you're better off with clever, nippy players. If you're up against defenders who can be bullied, get your big man on. Anyway... Agree with your second point. Ajose really needs game time WITH bowman.

IndoMike

I never get this strategy... Its surely better to match your attackers to defenders weaknesses, not their strengths. If you're up against big slow cloggers, you're better off with clever, nippy players. If you're up against defenders who can be bullied, get your big man on. Anyway... Agree with your second point. Ajose really needs game time WITH bowman.
There is some sense in what you say. On the other hand, in Lg 2 football you're inevitably gonna have high balls into the area and Ajose can't fight for those.
I agree that it was a chance to give Ajose & Bowman a whirl to see how it went, and it went pretty well.
Matt left with some good selection headaches. And if things aren't going well he can make big changes to the system if play from the bench.
Imo this is all looking pretty good

rifraf

Well spotted. I thought the same too. I saw some very clever off the ball running into good spaces, begging for a quick ball …… but largely unseen. As he (hopefully) meaningfully features more and more, I hope it's a simple case of adjustment and awareness by those around him. This guy has pedigree. You can't just suddenly not have a clue. Would love it if he got his gander up and things really started to happen ………… with our defence and an additional in-form and rampant striker up front, that would really make things interesting.

Ajose was making good runs between their defenders last night. Unfortunately our players with the ball either did not spot or weren't looking for his sprints forward. If Matt Taylor can get them more alert for his runs and work on how Ajose can form a partnership with Bowman, we should have a very productive forward line.

Red Devon

Well spotted. I thought the same too. I saw some very clever off the ball running into good spaces, begging for a quick ball …… but largely unseen. As he (hopefully) meaningfully features more and more, I hope it's a simple case of adjustment and awareness by those around him. This guy has pedigree. You can't just suddenly not have a clue. Would love it if he got his gander up and things really started to happen ………… with our defence and an additional in-form and rampant striker up front, that would really make things interesting.
Agreed with Swindon suddenly losing their two strikers it would be nice if we could suddenly gain one.

exeter-loyal

Can see Ajose being an important player between now and the end of the season.