• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jamie Cureton.

Now there was a fox in the box who could take the game by the scruff of the neck. You make your own luck!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
To compare , it will be interesting to see whether George Miller , Scunny’S new loan signing , hits the ground running as we feel Ajose should have. I know it all depends on service , team playing style etc , but there’s a limit to the amount of time he should need surely, after all he is a seasoned player.We can’t spend all season hoping on him and scraping one goal results if we want an automatic/ playoff spot.
user being an idiot

grecIAN Harris

I have a lot of sympathy with Pete's view . Ajose was bought as the finished article and should have enough professionalism to hit the ground running. He's not a youngster, and, with playing under so many different managers and using so many different systems should be able to fit in with any immediately.
But it still comes back to service. You could have Messi or Ronaldo up front but if you don't give them the service then they simply won't score. How many chances at goal has Ajose had since he's been here? He certainly hasn't had any in the games at home, I don't know about the away games. No chances, no goals. I said before, look at the supply line and sort that then if he's not scoring goals then complain. Whilst chances aren't being created, he'll never have a hope and neither will Bowman.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
But it still comes back to service. You could have Messi or Ronaldo up front but if you don't give them the service then they simply won't score. How many chances at goal has Ajose had since he's been here? He certainly hasn't had any in the games at home, I don't know about the away games. No chances, no goals. I said before, look at the supply line and sort that then if he's not scoring goals then complain. Whilst chances aren't being created, he'll never have a hope and neither will Bowman.
Ian if you're good enough you create your own chances. You receive the ball in the area with your back to goal, you twist, you turn, you create your own space and then hammer it. Sean Devine was a prime example of scoring this type of goal.

Spoonz Red E

Ian if you're good enough you create your own chances. You receive the ball in the area with your back to goal, you twist, you turn, you create your own space and then hammer it. Sean Devine was a prime example of scoring this type of goal.
Which as Ian has said isn't happening enough.

grecIAN Harris

You cannot create your own chances if you are not getting the ball. You have to receive some kind service, however good or poor it might be, to do something with. He hasn't received a ball into the box to even try and turn water into wine. Bowman scored from a very, very misshit shot from Nicky Law and had a header on Tuesday from a cross, ironically from Nicky Ajose, that he should have scored with and that is about the sum total of his supply. It isn't the striker who are at fault here, it is the midfield, particularly the wide midfield and even more in particular Randall Williams as he is the main supply for width in the side. Matt Taylor needs to look at what he is putting out as a side and what certain players aren't doing and it is the wide areas that are the problem. I've said it before and I'll say again, we should be playing both Randall Williams and Lee Martin out wide on their natural sides (Williams on the left, Martin on the right) getting them past their opposing full backs and getting crosses in early between the six yard box and the penalty spot for Bowman and Ajose to attack. If that happens and they're getting decent service and they're still not scoring, then you ask the questions of the two strikers and not before.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It isn't the striker who are at fault here, it is the midfield, particularly the wide midfield and even more in particular Randall Williams as he is the main supply for width in the side. Matt Taylor needs to look at what he is putting out as a side and what certain players aren't doing and it is the wide areas that are the problem.
To be fair to Matt Taylor he did change both the formation and personnel against Oldham. I know his hand was partly forced by injuries but it was still a lot bolder selection than most of us expected. And, while there was still considerable room for improvement, there were at least 3 inch-perfect crosses that should have been converted - Richardson to Martin, Sparkes to Jay and Ajose to Bowman

grecIAN Harris

To be fair to Matt Taylor he did change both the formation and personnel against Oldham. I know his hand was partly forced by injuries but it was still a lot bolder selection than most of us expected. And, while there was still considerable room for improvement, there were at least 3 inch-perfect crosses that should have been converted - Richardson to Martin, Sparkes to Jay and Ajose to Bowman
Martin was unlucky that his was deflected wide, I haven't seen the Jay chance and I'd already mentioned Bowman's but the only part of this where Nicky Ajose, who is the main butt of the criticism, appears is setting up the Bowman chance. The boy can't score if he isn't getting the supply. It's still that simple. 3-5-2 maybe the answer if Taylor is going to put some trust in the youngsters but they still have to supply the chances and then, as discussed elsewhere, you're leaving out two players who should be natural first choice players.

Jammers20

I don't think Ajose is totally to blame currently. Vs Swindon he seemed to be trying to play everywhere, I'm hoping that's just him trying too hard and not tactically the way Taylor has him playing. He's got to be around / in the 18yrd box. not wide left or wide right. in the hole behind Bowman etc. get him where he can get some good service and fire shots off where they have a chance of finding the net. I still think he'll come good, just a case of bedding in..

PeteUSA

in the hole behind Bowman etc. get him where he can get some good service and fire shots off where they have a chance of finding the net. I still think he'll come good, just a case of bedding in..
"In the hole" what hole? That annoys me as much as saying a center forward is playing "up top"!! The fact of the matter is its not clearly apparent where our goals are coming from. Okay, Bowman has scored two or three, but as much of a grafter as he is, he's certainly not a center forward, or target man. His goal to club ratio before he came to us was poor. He wasn't considered good enough for Torquay FFS!