• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ajose doesn't put a shift in. He doesn't challenge, doesn't close down, I'm not sure what he offers.
I'm desperately trying to not be to down on him but what does he offer. Lee Martin or MJ over Ajose for me atm

Stelios

His career was in the doldrums. He came to us with no form or consistency. Not saying the critcism is wrong but it's early days still. I was underwhelmed by Lee Martin at the start of last season but he's now one of my favourites and completely won me over.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think we need to give Ajose more time before judging him : he needs to settle in. His impact on the game will be sniffing out chances in the penalty area : generally due to our style of game at present we don't create a lot of chances like that. Give him a couple of months to settle in to his new life and football environment.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think we need to give Ajose more time before judging him : he needs to settle in. His impact on the game will be sniffing out chances in the penalty area : generally due to our style of game at present we don't create a lot of chances like that. Give him a couple of months to settle in to his new life and football environment.
Agree with this but just don't think he should be starting yet until he has proven he is worth a place in the side.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure it is a question of settling in. He seems way off the pace so rather a case of not being match fit and or indeed not fit full stop.

Begs the question what if anything he did during his time out of the game to maintain his fitness.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Agree with this but just don't think he should be starting yet until he has proven he is worth a place in the side.
Maybe Matt T has decided he wants to play with two upfront and is giving Ajose and Bowman time to gel.
I don't agree with all of MT's signings, formations and player selections, but we've started quite well (in theory) and certainly have the best bench in a long time, which will stand us in good stead as the season progresses.
Think I'll wait until we've played 10 games before I make my conclusions. Oldham away next game : they're struggling.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't excited when we signed Ajose and I wondered what all the excitement was when we signed him, but yesterday as I mentioned in another thread I was seeing him running off of Bowman and them trying to link up, and I say given time these two will be one of the better partnerships in the division.

What they both need is service and we need to get down both wings to the goal line and give it to them, hopefully with the Richardson signing this will happen.

I also think that the substitution of Martin for Ajose works really well as it brings a different dimension to a match and means the opposition have to rethink their tactics.

We have got seven points without us firing on all cylinders, when it happens........

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Something minor but a little odd I have noticed about Ajose, when our attacking players take shots during the pre match warm up Ajose is not involved, it was the same before the game against Macclesfield, all of our other strikers and attacking midfield players are hitting shots from different angles at Maxted yet for some reason Ajose is gently warming up on the half way line.

Langer

With sixteen moves/loans under his belt and never really scored consistently long term before being moved on again I don’t think we should expect to much.

STURTZ

Ajose may well be played in the wrong position and not provided with the service but do we really want to tailor our team to suit a player that appears to be crap when if we put in Jay or Martin as striking midfielders and play with Bowman at the forefront we might be more capable?

At the moment it's only Ajose's wage bill that is dictating the shape of our team.